Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a lot of the performance sites they are advertising exhausts with and without catalytic converters. Does our cars... any of the cobalts I am talking have any sensors or anything that go into the cat cons? I am aware that taking the cat out of the exhaust is very loud and against emissions but I am thankful enough to live in MN where emissions is a thing of the past. What would the difference in power be and also the difference in PIA (paint in the ass)? Obviously the noise would be louder (which I don't care and actually prefer haha). I also saw the price is a good chunk lower. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Would this be something that would throw a code?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
the cat is in the dp. and the dp itself has the 02 bung. so you can take the cat out, or put in a dp that doesnt have a cat. and youll be fine. as for the power, it prolly wont be enough to notice.
not sure about codes, cant remember which side of the cat the 02 bung is on, guessing after the cat. which might throw a cel. but im not positive......

·
Registered
498 Posts
... I am aware that taking the cat out of the exhaust is very loud and against emissions but I am thankful enough to live in MN where emissions is a thing of the past.
You are not being green:sad:

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Interesting, Thanks for the quick reply. You yellow cobalt people are always on top of your game. :p I am considering this package to be my header/DP upgrade. Chevy Cobalt Header/Downpipe Combo (No Cat) - RacingSolution.Com
np, just happened to catch it right after you posted. :)
thats prolly what im going to go with too. i just cant justify 700+ for a combo that prolly wont do a whole hell a lot more, considering the car isnt going to be that fast anyway. thats my opinion.:) might change when i get that far though.:laugh:

·
Registered
344 Posts
yes it will throw a code but you can get it tuned out. it will be louder and smell more, but its not too bad
as for the performance, you probly wont notice much if at all until you get pretty built, nicest thing at least for me is that i wont have to worry about clogging or blowing my cat out :)

i have some vids of my balt with 4-2-1 header, 2.5" catless dp, and 3" exhaust on youtube.

search user and find trh9490, thats me and there will be vids on there of my car with that setup

·
Registered
802 Posts
i'm runnin catless.. it throw's a rear o2 lean code... trifecta is the only program that can tune it out on the 2.2... as for power u actually feel a tad bit more on the top end..

·
Registered
720 Posts
I believe you can also put an o2 extender on there to get the CEL to go away (at least sometimes it works).

Not to take away from Racing Solutions as they're a vendor here, but maybe you should consider ZZP as well.

Here's a link: ZZP Mid-length header/dp combo

I don't have a header/dp yet, but I am considering the mid-length since it will produce more torque and low-end power. The price is comparable as well.

G

·
I have seen for some other cars an O2 Sensor Simulator that plugs into the second O2 sensor plug, the one past the cat, and it is so post to trick the computer into thinking the cat is there and working perfectly. I haven't seem them for our cars tho.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I don't have a header/dp yet, but I am considering the mid-length since it will produce more torque and low-end power. The price is comparable as well.
i thought mid length is for mid power? shorty for low end and long for top end?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.