Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay well as some oh you know I'm replacing my stock halos for CCFL's halos and i had a question about glue..

Well in picture one this is the back of the 2nd layer to the light with the stock halo clip holes and wire hole at the bottom..

But there's only 2 stock halo clip holes to hot glue to but for some reason that feels it wont be enough support to hold em in with theses bump and holes in the road..

Here's a front picture of the halo area, its a smooth surface so like i said there's nothing to bond halo rings to other then the clip holes

So what i was thinking of doing was taking a rotary tool with a small bit and shaving it in alil to make it a rough surface to bond the ring to the area

Or like in this picture taking a small drill bit and drilling small holes and the halo area just like the clip holes for extra support holding it..

Now the question is will the CCFL's or projector melt the hot glue that's holding them in place?

Here's a link to the glue gun i bought and glue sticks that it comes with that I'm going to use from eBay...

20W Hot Mini Glue Gun 25 Free Glue Sticks Works for Both 110 or 220V | eBay

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Silicone will stay pliable in the cold, too. The hot glue in my 3rd brake light lost cohesion after like one day of winter lol. No idea how much heat CCFL's kick off...

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No and il use ether epoxy or silicone sealant

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Well i just made a hole in the top and put silicone sealant thats 400 degree so should be good dont think 6000k hids projectors can heat that high

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
too bad I just read this. A good epoxy sealant would be the way to go. Silicone (at least in my experience) has a habit of peeling off at the worst times when it's supporting even the smallest of weight. Epoxy on the other hand would basically bond the halo's with the housing permanently.

I'm pretty sure headlights are abs plastic as well so if you got a two part plumbers pvc pipe glue that would probably do it to. The glue I have at my school says good for abs/pvc. Part A basically roughs up the plastic by slightly melting it and part b go on and mixes with the part A to form an amazingly strong bond. It holds pvc pipes together for underground runs of cable so it should be more than capable of holding a halo to a headlight capsule.

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
too bad I just read this. A good epoxy sealant would be the way to go. Silicone (at least in my experience) has a habit of peeling off at the worst times when it's supporting even the smallest of weight. Epoxy on the other hand would basically bond the halo's with the housing permanently.

I'm pretty sure headlights are abs plastic as well so if you got a two part plumbers pvc pipe glue that would probably do it to. The glue I have at my school says good for abs/pvc. Part A basically roughs up the plastic by slightly melting it and part b go on and mixes with the part A to form an amazingly strong bond. It holds pvc pipes together for underground runs of cable so it should be more than capable of holding a halo to a headlight capsule.
open the jar and take a big ole wiff of that stuff! It'll knock you on your ass. haha when I just started as an apprentice I was doing an underground service for a elementary school being built, and me being the curious electrician wanted to know the stuff I was dealing with took a wiif and holy haha supper dizz and nauscious,

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
a couple of the guys in the class were kidding around saying they were going to steal a pint of the part B for recreational use. The indian in the class laughed and said stick with gas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.