Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

What should I do next?

• Buy another P.O.S.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Junk it and buy something worse...like a GTO!

• ...then after the fender gets dinged, you'll have to junk the GTO.

• You'll have better luck if you just buy a lottery ticket.

• Invest in Portillo's stock!

• How are you still sane?

• LSJ-T swap it

• LS swap...because that's what the cool kids are doing.

• Isn't doing an LSJ swap "TECHNICALLY" an LS swap????

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Β·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this hoping I can help the mechanic who is currently working on the car.

This is my thread from the G5 forum πŸ‘‰ πŸ‘‰ πŸ‘‰ G5 Club

My car is a 2007 G5 GT, 2.4 litre. I purchased this car earlier this year w/ almost 107K miles on the odo. It's currently around 110K miles.

I did an engine swap because the previous owner was allergic to oil changes. I checked the oil before I got the car and it was clean / fresh. I performed the first oil change and blue smoke was pouring from the exhaust (bad rings). I was going to rebuild the motor, but I couldn't find anyone who had a set of rings. Because this is my D.D., I opted to try the 'quick route' and do an engine swap. I found a 2.4 litre out of AZ. w/ only 65K miles.

I recieved the newer motor and it was in REALLY nice shape. When I removed the valve cover, it was SUPER clean inside. First thing I did was replace the Tming and Balance shaft chains / sprockets (CLOYES part numbers 9-4201SAVVT2 and 9-4202S). Once I finiished swapping the motor, I also did the LSJ T/B swap (brand NEW throttle body), with the adapter from ZZPerformance. I had to have the ECM TCM reprogrammed...which was also performed by ZZP. I tried to start the car and got some messages on the dash. With the LSJ T/B installed, it initially read "Reduced Engine Power", followed by "Service Traction", "Power Steering" and then "Engine Disabled". When I turned the key, the lights shut off and nothing happened. The codes that came up were:

P1516 - Manufatuurer Specific (Throttle Acutuator Control)
P1682 - Manufacturer Specific (Ignition Switch voltage problem)
P2101 - Throttle Actuator Control Performance.

I disconnected the battery and let it sit while I put the LE5 T/B back on. After a while (10 to 15 minutes) I tried the key again. The starter spins, but doesn't engauge. I still get the "Power Steering" and 'Engine Disabled", but the "Service Traction" no longer appears on the dash cluster. The codes being thrown then are:

P1682 - Manufacturer Specific (Ignition Switch voltage problem)
P2101 - Throttle Actuator Control Performance.
U0101 - Lost communication with the TCM (transmission Control Module)

I then reinstalled the LSJ T/B, disconected the battery and let the car sit. When I tried to start it again, I got the same codes and same messages on the dash as I did before (listed above).

Because I have a new tune on the ECM / PCM, I thought I would call ZZPerformance and get their opinion. I spoke with Ryan and he concluded the original wire harness isn't compatable with the LSJ Throttle body. He said, "some of the wires are switched to different prongs from the LE5 to LSJ throttle bodies.. To correct this, I needed an 8 to 8 pin adapter for the LE5/LSJ. Additionally, he added my other issues that were coming up on the dash info. center use different parts of the electrical system. Those were not related to the reprogramed ECM / TCM. It sounded to him, like it was a grounding issue and that I should go back and make sure the grounds are clean, secure and in the same locations as before the engine swap.

Before I was off the phone with Ryan, I had purchased the 8 to 8 pin adapter from ZZPerformance. When the part arrived, I immediately installed it. The car started and ran pretty good!

SIDE NOTE: I did paint the engine. All the searches I was doing online, came to the same solution to the "Traction, P/S and Engine" messages that came up on the dash. Because I painted the engine, grounding could have been the issue. I went through, checked, cleaned and regrounde every connection under the hood. I also made a new ground, going from the ECM to a factory ground point. This cleared up the transmission control module problem.

I tried to drive the car and it wouldn't go over 25 mph. The car was stuck in Limp Mode. All the codes, except ONE were cleared. I was now only getting a P0223 code (High Voltage from the Throttle / Pedal position Sensor to the PCM is too high). I spoke to Ryan at ZZPerformance and when I told him that code, he told me everything that was going on with my car. He said the gas pedal is the culprit and throwing the car into limp mode. I trust what he said, because it was like he was in the garage with me, when I was telling him the symptoms.

I replaced the gas pedal with a new part and all H_LL broke loose. The car started and the rpm's shot up to around 3500 - 4000. After 20 seconds (or so) the car shut off. I tried to start it again (figuring the car needed to do a relearn from the pedal swap). It started and sputtered for 3 to 5 seconds and quit. When I tried to restart it, the driver info center read "Engine Disabled". I turned on the key and disconnected the battery and left it that way for around 20 minutes. I came back, turned off the ignition key and reconnected the battery. Nothing had changed. I tried to start the car in vein. The driver info center read "Engine Disabled".

At this point I gave up and brought the car to a local shop. The car has been there for 6 weeks and he can't seem to make heads or tails of the problem. At this point, all the shop has been able to do was get the car to start. They did replace the battery with a newer one, as the one I had tested as "good", but it is about 2 years old. After the batery swap, the car will run for 20 to 30 seconds at 3500 to 4000 RPM and it will shut off. If you try to start the car immediately after, it will not do anything...but if you wait about a minute, the car will start, run up to 3500 to 4000 RPM for 20 to 30 seconds and quit. This is where the car is at right now.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!

* I have not installed the cams πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡ yet *

Β·
Registered
831 Posts
Did you get the correct engine wiring harness for the engine? And what year was the 2.4L engine you installed into your 07 G5?

Β·
Say What again!
6,395 Posts
Did you get the correct engine wiring harness for the engine? And what year was the 2.4L engine you installed into your 07 G5?
The LE5s should all be the same - they had the updated computer and what not, I believe, before the 2.2Ls did. But if it came out of another car, that could include some other changes...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts