Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I go...
I am getting a CEL - P0420 - Cat below efficiency.
I am not sure if this CEL has been discussed. It has been a week since I installed the new downpipe. It does not sound like it is leaking. I did not have time to put it up on the rack to look. Any suggestions? I am very open at this juncture.....

Do I need an o2 sensor simulator? new sensor? reinstall the stock d/p?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleared the CEL code, but the light came back on in 3 days. So, I ordered an O2 Sensor Simulator today. I will post an update when I receive it and get it installed. The cost was $40.00. I hope it works. I really like the extra punch the high flow cat has given me. I don't want to go back to the stock D/P.

BTW, I changed my oil a couple of days ago. I checked my MPG average and it was 35.2 for the last 3000 miles. That is 5.2 higher after all the mods were in place. I am very impressed with the increased performance AND better milage. I probably would get better MPG's, but I am enjoying the HP right now!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O2 sensor simulator is in transit. It should arrive Tuesday.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a picture of the simulator on their website. But, I will post a picture of the actual one they send. I will also include the installation details and results.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
O2 sensor installed.... No CEL!!!
I looked at the diagnostic on the front sensor and the rear sensor after the install. The front sensor reading was in 'constant calculating' mode. The rear sensor reading was at a constant midline. (Or, a perfect reading) Even while I was pushing the gas pedal to different levels, the reading on the rear sensor remained in the 'perfect' range.
Check out the pictures.

-----Added 8 Jan 2009 at 11:05:15-----
O2 sensor installed.... No CEL!!!
I looked at the diagnostic on the front sensor and the rear sensor after the install. The front sensor reading was in 'constant calculating' mode. The rear sensor reading was at a constant midline. (Or, a perfect reading) Even while I was pushing the gas pedal to different levels, the reading on the rear sensor remained in the 'perfect' range.
Check out the pictures.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Good find...and glad you got your problem solved! Make sure you seal the connectors with something -- where your connections are it is going to get wet/dirt/salt? -- you could get corrosion there and that will affect your sensor wiring.

·
Registered
594 Posts
what site did you go to for this 02 simulator

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The site is: O2 Simulator, E-commerce

Hold the phone though......

The simulator I installed works perfect. In fact, it works too perfect! It puts out a perfect, constant midrange reading. Which got rid of the 'Cat Below Efficiency' CEL However.....My car threw another CEL. It was a P0140 - Insufficient Activity on sensor 2. I have emailed the company Friday afternoon, but I have not heard back from them yet. I expect to hear from them Monday.

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah let me know what goes on with that,because I have a catless downpipe and I do want to pass the stupid edmission crap with out having to get a catayltic converter put on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
Five emails to the O2 Simulator company. They did respond and ask me what the year/make/model of my car was. Yes...I put it in the emails I sent. I feel that was kind od a stalling technique or someone was in a big hurry. As of 01/19/2009, I still do not have an answer to the new CEL issue. I will keep you posted.

On a lighter, or darker side if you will, I did get my windows tinted! I will post new pics when I can.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Installed the Touge Factory O2 sensor and cleared the CEL. It has been 3 days and it has not thrown another CEL. The last one (Insufficient activity) kept coming back one day after clearing it.

So far..... this is working. The Touge sensor was delivered in less than a week. It was a ten minute install. Cost: $26.00 including shipping.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Installed the Touge Factory O2 sensor and cleared the CEL. It has been 3 days and it has not thrown another CEL. The last one (Insufficient activity) kept coming back one day after clearing it.

So far..... this is working. The Touge sensor was delivered in less than a week. It was a ten minute install. Cost: $26.00 including shipping.
Keep us posted...make a new thread so people see the info on it. Hahn turbos has an O2 sensor fitting that is similar on their new DPs for the SS/TC and they claim it keeps the CELs away too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No CEL for a week!!!!!
It appears the 90 degree sensor adaptor is the answer. I have a Vibrant high flow cat D/P. I am no longer getting either of the CEL's for 'Cat below efficiency' or 'Insufficient activity'. Product details are in this thread or pm me for information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.