Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 07 LS sedan and haven't even taken possession of it yet and already I'm wanting to put in a center armrest so I have a couple questions.

How hard is it to install?
Where is the best place to buy one? (besides a dealer)

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
its not hard at all just need the tools really, did mine in less than 20 minutes i followed a DIY on css

if i could post the link i would but i cant lol so if you want the link message me or go find it on css

and i got mine off ebay they probably have the cheapest ones around def love my arm rest one of the better upgrades fer sure

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not hard at all just need the tools really, did mine in less than 20 minutes i followed a DIY on css

if i could post the link i would but i cant lol so if you want the link message me or go find it on css

and i got mine off ebay they probably have the cheapest ones around def love my arm rest one of the better upgrades fer sure
Hey, thanks man, I'll give it a look on css and ebay for the armrest.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Love mine, got mine from the dealer. All in all pretty much the same price either way you go. Try local salvage yards, but make sure you get all the hardware.

Easy install also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Its so easy to install. You just remove the piece around the handbrake, then the cup holder piece then you put the armrest in. It like slides in a bit then you screw it down with a couple bolts in the back, then you use the new rear cup holder piece and reinstall the original piece around the handbrake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its so easy to install. You just remove the piece around the handbrake, then the cup holder piece then you put the armrest in. It like slides in a bit then you screw it down with a couple bolts in the back, then you use the new rear cup holder piece and reinstall the original piece around the handbrake.
That does sound really easy, I'm glad you don't have to tear the whole console out like I saw somebody say somewhere else.

Big big thanks everyone!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Np. It really is quite easy. With the exception of the two 10mm bolts for the arm rest, its all clips. Gotta love GM haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Np. It really is quite easy. With the exception of the two 10mm bolts for the arm rest, its all clips. Gotta love GM haha
Yeah, gotta love plastic parts. It's puzzling why they don't put those in the car already, my bro's didn't have one either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just modified the existing armrest out of my 2010 lt and it worked out great. The oem armrest sits way to low for me and was extremely uncomfortable.
I ended up using 2 inch nu-foam, headliner foam and some vinyl upholstery and reupholstered it. I was thinking about doing a diy guide on it. let me know if you want me to post one. It took about an 30 minutes real easy to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
DIY would be amazing!! - I would like to make my center armrest a little more padded - I didn't know that the LS didn't have one that would be really inconvenient

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update since I saw someone posted in this thread of mine. I got the center armrest and got it installed quite a while ago with no problems. Had to take the entire center console out to get the mounting bracket in which wasn't that hard at all.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just got a call from scrap yard they might have one, I'm going down to check if it's the right one.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Was the right one but not cheap (50$) and I had to take it out myself. I'll take pictures of the install. Step by step.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Here's the install as promised. Pictures are numbered in lower righthand corner.

1 Arm rest from donor car (2007 Cobalt LT Cashmere Metalic).
2 Arm rest mounting bracket before cleaning.
3 Arm rest mounting bracket after cleaning and paint.
4 Removal of rear cup holder. This just snaps out.
5 Removal of park brake trim. This just snaps out.
6 Insert mounting bracket through opening. As you can see hole is too small so unscrew back of console (Two 7mm screws) so you can spread it a little bit.
7 Drop mounting bracket in position and screw the four 10 mm screws at each corner.
8 Insert Arm rest and slide into slots at front, screw two 10mm screws at back of bracket securely.
9 Insert shorter cup holder into place.
10 Re-install parking brake trim and Voilà.

Arm rest for 2007 Cobalt LS pictures by Coby007 - Photobucket

Probably a 20 minutes job if you don't take pictures. Hope this helps somebody.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.