Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading around and I see a lot of people mention CF hoods. I love the look and the price is not to bad so im thinking of getting one for my 2010 cobalt sedan. (just got it cheap due to hail damage and think its better to just replace the hood instead of fixing the hail dents). Here is my question. I see that a lot of sites recomend hood pins whenever you install a CF or fiberglass hood, but is it really nessisary? Just wondering if i should take the time to locate a good set of hood pins (found some Flat latch hood pins that look good) or if it is something I dont really need to worry about. On a side note I'm probably going to get a CF trunk lid as well (once again due to the hail dents) and was wondering if the Shock that holds the trunk lid open would need to be replaced (due to weight change) and same for the hood strut?

Thanks for any help.
P.S. If this was talked about in another thread im sorry, the only CF hood threads I saw had no mention of Hood pins.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Its tough to say, everyone I know says its a good thing to have them, I have them but I bought my hood off of its first owner who had them so naturally I had them too. Before I got my pins in(ordered them online) I drove with it on the car back from the place I bought it, even taped down it was fluttering. After I had it painted(not the whole thing) I ran around a few days without the pins and it worried me. Anything over 45mph and it was notice able it was moving, causing stress to the latch.

I say its better to be safe than sorry. As I said it other threads, had a friend who had a Lexus GS300, thing was very nice, got an expensive hood that said no need for pins. He was driving down a road one day doing about 50 and the latch failed and smashed his windshield than ended up eating a concrete light pull. The beautiful car was toast with a week of it becoming that. So my thoughts, get 'em, the flat latches that are flush pretty much are very nice and will be much nicer as far as looks. I wanted to get a set to replace the old school ones i have some time but I have been trying to sell my hood so.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, thats kinda what I was thinking better safe than sorry. I found a set of the flat latch pins that have a CF look to help blend in better, there about $140 bucks so I think it might be worth the money for the added looks and saftey. Did you have any opinions on the shocks that hold the hood and trunk up? Do they need to be adjusted or replaced due to the weight change?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would suggest for your hood, but Beamer covered it already are some hood pins by Sparco. Do not install them yourself, it will cause cracking in the CF weaves. They are there to keep the hood down during highway travel.

I had a friend who owned a 93 MR2 turbo and bought a Seibon CF hood, drove down the highway at 80mph, his hood came up and slapped his roof where the T bar is...all I can say is "make sure you get hood pins when putting on a Carbon Hood".

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
The strut for my hood stock is useless with the CF hood, it mounts the same but my CF hood sets in the bay lower enough to where the hood bulges and wont shut right. Not sure if there is any aftermarket struts that would work better. I do keep the strut with the car when I have the CF hood on, because I just snap it on if I am under there but have to take it off when finished. There is a metal clip on the points where it goes to the hood and car that you just pull out to release it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.