Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a ticking coming from my timing chain. Its an 05 base coupe with 86,000 mi. Is there a recommended service and how do I do it?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
First, figure out where the noise is coming from it could also be the other chain. Changing the tensionner is not a bad idea though.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
That sure sounds like timing chain is flopping around. Don't wait until it jumps a cog. If your not sure about doing this, take it to your friendly neighbourhood mechanic. This would be a good preventive maintenance. Check if you have the new version of chain tensioner or still have the old. New one has a bump in the middle of the bolt head.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Nothing if you do it yourself, maybe $50 at a shop plus purchase price of the tensioner.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Out with the old...

In with the new....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Looks like it's time to change that tensioner. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I just removed the valve cover, tie-wrapped chain to both cam sprocket, then removed old tensioner and installed new one. Tapped the guide from inside the head to release the tensioner and cut the ties and re-installed the valve cover. It cured my initial morning start noise and I sleep better when my daughters take the car.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm having a tough time visualizing it since I've never seen inside a valve cover before. Would I need a new gasket?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

What do you mean by tapping the guide? Tapping the tip of the new tensioner?

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Will my oil filter socket work? The head of the tensioner looks kind of shallow

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No you can salvage the gasket, it's just rubber.

And yes you tap the guide that leans on the tensioner to release it. I just used a long flat blade screw driver.

The oil cap socket is perfect for this job.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Once I open the cover I'm hoping it's pretty obvious what part you mean to tap. Wise idea to use pb blaster on the head?

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Is there a bolt pattern I should follow when tightening the valve cover? Unfortunately I don't have a torque wrench either.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Center outward

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Read carefully, don't touch the chain it says what I told you. reach diagonally to the guide and push,tap, jolt whatever. You will feel it releasing and tightening the chain.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

You will figure it all out once you see how it's made in there. No rocket science.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.