Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok im gonna be changing the while i change the clutch this weekend umm what kind of trans fluid does it take i went to autozone and orileys and they said they idk what kind it is or they dont have it.... whats the brand spcificaly used in my 06 cobalt ss/sc what kinds do i stay away from what do i watch out for

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol no sorry i just edited it but trans fluid

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

also is their anything i need to worry about or pay attention to when changing the clutch jc never changed one before

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Make sure you have an alignment tool. Take your time, torque everything and I like to use loctite on clutch stuff as Ive seen bolts that were torqued back out. Ask questions if you have any.

Also make sure you dont have bad hot spots on the flywheel as if it does Id have my foywheel checked to make sure its still good.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i bought a new fly wheel and clutch, i also was just gonna change the oil in the trans since im pulling the cv axels out and thats why i want to change it, ive read that royal purple isnt good for theis to just go with the recommmended kind

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

just called chevy and they dont have the trans fluid, and in order to get it i have to order 6 of em...... so what can i do i have to change this clutch this weekend

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well i bought a new fly wheel and clutch, i also was just gonna change the oil in the trans since im pulling the cv axels out and thats why i want to change it, ive read that royal purple isnt good for theis to just go with the recommmended kind

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

just called chevy and they dont have the trans fluid, and in order to get it i have to order 6 of em...... so what can i do i have to change this clutch this weekend
I thought trans fluid on the 5 speeds was just brake fluid?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
You don't have to have the clutch out to change the trans fluid. If needed, change your clutch, and when you get the fluid, change the fluid.

As far as the fluid, any GL-4 or GL-5 fluid will work for the F35 Trans, which is the one you have, HOWEVER, do NOT use any additives. Synchromesh, or anything like that will deteriorate stuff in the transmission. I'd recommend running a GL-5 as it is better than 4 (obviously) and will run just fine in your transmission.

Here are some part numbers for the transmission fluids used in the F35 transmissions (you can use either)

SS/SC F35 : 21018899

SS/TC F35 : 88862472

There ya go, hope this helps. Again tho, ANY GL-4 or GL-5 fluid will work if you don't want to pay that much for fluid from the Dealership.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts

·
Levee
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nvm found your other thread about the information on the thransmissions thanks for posting it on here, i just order 2 qrts of Redline 75W90NS GL-5 Gear Oil

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
You're welcome! :)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
There is a check plug. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Engine off and at operating temp the fluid should be level with this plug.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.