Is this a good idea??

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have 06 ls and I wanna put ss rims on it so what all would I have to do just get new rotars and new studs? im hoping its that simple if any of you guys can clear this up for me thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes it is a good idea to move up from a 4 lug setup to a 5 lug, plus with the kits you will have to get to do so, you will have all wheel disc brakes. The only real downfall here is the cost to do so...there are only a couple kits available and are very pricy...here are the links, one is for the front and one would be for the rear. Knoxbox said this is the only one that he was able to find for a 4 lug cobalt. Will run you around $2100+shipping and tax...

SSBC 12 Inch Big Brake Front Kit Chevrolet Cobalt 2005-08 - Brakes - Turbo Tech Racing, LLC

SSBC 12 Inch Big Brake Rear Conversion Kit Chevrolet Cobalt 2005-08 - Brakes - Turbo Tech Racing, LLC

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
IMO its to expensive, and plus 4lug wheels are alot more rare then 5 lug, so you can most likly haggle a guy down on aftermarket 4lugs because not many cars have them.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
4 to 5 lug....

If he has 4 lug/rear drums,,, can't he get the front 5 lug rotors and if he retains the rear drum setup,, he can just get the 5 lug drums,, like comes on the LT's with 16 in wheels. That should be a LOT cheaper AND he gets the 5 lug setup.....

GTO 1

·
Banned
292 Posts
IMO its to expensive, and plus 4lug wheels are alot more rare then 5 lug, so you can most likly haggle a guy down on aftermarket 4lugs because not many cars have them.
you have got this backwards, 4 lug is alot more common we share the same lug pattern as most of the honda 4x100. you will find more aftermarket wheels with a 4 lug pattern than you will the 5x110 pattern.

but since he wants 5 lug, and he already knows he wants ss wheels then 5 lug is the cheapest way to go, it'll run you a lil under 800 bucks to do the 4 - 5 lug converison u will need ss/sc rear axels so that you can hang the rear calipers u'll need all the rest of the parts for the front and rear off a ss/sc or ss/tc. such as hubs calipers rotors etc...

like peko said if you stay 4 lug you only option really available is to do the big brake kit he listed that does the rear disc converison as well, but i heard here recently that we could more than likely use a big brake kit from a honda as they have the same lug pattern, but you would have to stick with drums in the rear. unless you want to do that big brake rear disc conversion that peko listed...

i was going to do the 4 - 5 lug conversion but the wheel options got cut to nearly 1/4 of the selection i had with the 4 lug pattern so i'm staying 4 lug and i'll probably end up doing the 2100 big brake kit peko listed eventually. but it'll be a ways off. just waiting for me wheels to get back in stock.

for purposes of the cheapest way out to get ss wheels on your car, do what he said get the adapter and go that route.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
you have got this backwards, 4 lug is alot more common we share the same lug pattern as most of the honda 4x100. you will find more aftermarket wheels with a 4 lug pattern than you will the 5x110 pattern.

but since he wants 5 lug, and he already knows he wants ss wheels then 5 lug is the cheapest way to go, it'll run you a lil under 800 bucks to do the 4 - 5 lug converison u will need ss/sc rear axels so that you can hang the rear calipers u'll need all the rest of the parts for the front and rear off a ss/sc or ss/tc. such as hubs calipers rotors etc...

like peko said if you stay 4 lug you only option really available is to do the big brake kit he listed that does the rear disc converison as well, but i heard here recently that we could more than likely use a big brake kit from a honda as they have the same lug pattern, but you would have to stick with drums in the rear. unless you want to do that big brake rear disc conversion that peko listed...

i was going to do the 4 - 5 lug conversion but the wheel options got cut to nearly 1/4 of the selection i had with the 4 lug pattern so i'm staying 4 lug and i'll probably end up doing the 2100 big brake kit peko listed eventually. but it'll be a ways off. just waiting for me wheels to get back in stock.

for purposes of the cheapest way out to get ss wheels on your car, do what he said get the adapter and go that route.
you were referring to the adapter i listed, right?

·
Registered
92 Posts
hey knox, couldnt we just get the ss/sc axles so that we could have all wheel disc brakes? yeah its more work, but hella cheaper, esp if you happen to find one at a junk yard...

·
Banned
292 Posts
yes you can, like i said in my post above... but finding a wrecked one at a junkyard is going to be hard if you buy all new parts at gm parts direct or dealership you looking at a lil under 800 bucks maybe a lil under 1k depends on location etc.. but like i said wheel options are limited for the 5 lug pattern... personally i'd like to see the big brake kit that ttr sells and see that braket that it has to come with to hang the rear brake caliper cause if i could get someoen to just make me a bracket like that then i could just buy rotors and caliper fromt he front for the rear. i'll email ttr see if they can get me a picture of that braket maybe some measurments.

i emailed ttr about that braket, assuming it is a bracket... hopefully aaron over a ttr wont mind looking at it and letting me know something.

·
Registered
92 Posts
if you find anything out PLZ let us know! im sure you would...! im sure i can find someone out here to do the same...thanks in advance!! lol

·
Banned
292 Posts
they told me it is a relocation braket but doens't look like they are going to take a photo or scan the directions for me or anything :( ah well can't really blame them cause they lose a sale if i do it myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.