Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a lot about cars, but I would really like to know what I can do to get more MPG, I own a 2006 Chevy Cobalt, LT? I believe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
first, use the right gas, i own a 06 cobalt ls, i have learn. buy gas that is all gas no eth, i get better miles per gallon when i use that. i hope this helps you

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't believe the ethanol is the cause of low gas mileage. The fact that too much can cause problems is true, but only a small percentage is unlikely. In fact the ethanol is a clean burner, and burns longer. It cleans the engine so the gas moves freely. So the small amount of ethanol in the gas is actually helping.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think here in Jersey they're mixing in 10% ethanol (E10). I think one of the reasons is that it's an oxygenate and it replaces MTBE which was causing problems with groundwater contamination. Compared with gasoline, ethanol contains less energy per unit and so you'd think you'd see a hit in mileage but I didn't notice a difference or maybe it's that the difference was very small. My understanding is that ethanol helps to clean the cars fuel line and fuel injectors and absorbs moisture in the gas tank. There's been problems reported with ethanol in gas powered boat engines because of its water absorbing properties. I guess boat gas tanks typically contain allot more water.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think here in Jersey they're mixing in 10% ethanol (E10). I think one of the reasons is that it's an oxygenate and it replaces MTBE which was causing problems with groundwater contamination. Compared with gasoline, ethanol contains less energy per unit and so you'd think you'd see a hit in mileage but I didn't notice a difference or maybe it's that the difference was very small. My understanding is that ethanol helps to clean the cars fuel line and fuel injectors and absorbs moisture in the gas tank. There's been problems reported with ethanol in gas powered boat engines because of its water absorbing properties. I guess boat gas tanks typically contain allot more water.
Yes the problem with boats is they they are driven on the water, so hence water absorbtion and damage. The ethanol is alcohol so it cleans and burns longer in the combustion process.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Compared with gasoline, ethanol contains less energy per unit and so you'd think you'd see a hit in mileage but I didn't notice a difference or maybe it's that the difference was very small.
This is correct. The more ethanol that is in gas the lower your mpg will be. There is a massive amount of testing data out there to prove this.

So, why ethanol? E10 is 10% less gasoline, but does not lower your mpg by 10%. The average drop in mpg with E10 is only about 5%. Many consider this worth while to burn 10% less gas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT and when I drive on the freeway I usually stay in the fast lane at a constant speed and average around 39 MPG. The key is to keep your foot on the accelerator pedal still so the engine burns gas at constant rate. Of course if you're driving uphill you'll have to press further down on the pedal and give it more gas to maintain a constant speed, but always try to drive to keep the speedometer needle still as possible. ALWAYS use regular 87 octane gas. Don't mix gas from different stations and fill it from almost completely empty to full, then drive until empty again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i would say to get petter fuel miileage one dont floor it all the time from a stand still or slow speed gradully incresses speed.. use cruise control...and use a higher grad fuel... since i have done this i get about 34 mpg just some helpfull hints... and some ppl say adding a diff intake and exhuast help but im not to sure if it does...

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
I have a 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT and when I drive on the freeway I usually stay in the fast lane at a constant speed and average around 39 MPG. The key is to keep your foot on the accelerator pedal still so the engine burns gas at constant rate. Of course if you're driving uphill you'll have to press further down on the pedal and give it more gas to maintain a constant speed, but always try to drive to keep the speedometer needle still as possible. ALWAYS use regular 87 octane gas. Don't mix gas from different stations and fill it from almost completely empty to full, then drive until empty again.
You will get better results not giving it more gas. If you let the car slow down going uphill and speed back up going downhill you will get better mpg. Keeping your foot, and not the speedo still is much better.

i would say to get petter fuel miileage one dont floor it all the time from a stand still or slow speed gradully incresses speed.. use cruise control...and use a higher grad fuel... since i have done this i get about 34 mpg just some helpfull hints... and some ppl say adding a diff intake and exhuast help but im not to sure if it does...
Cruise control is not very good for mpg. It dumps in more fuel going uphill, and then wastes kinetic energy going down the other side by letting off. Also, intakes do not help, because the more air you put in an engine the more gas the computer must put in to keep the fuel to air mixture right.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
You will get better results not giving it more gas. If you let the car slow down going uphill and speed back up going downhill you will get better mpg. Keeping your foot, and not the speedo still is much better.

Cruise control is not very good for mpg. It dumps in more fuel going uphill, and then wastes kinetic energy going down the other side by letting off. Also, intakes do not help, because the more air you put in an engine the more gas the computer must put in to keep the fuel to air mixture right.
yeah but will most cars don't really add fuel to compensate for the extra air. That is what tuning is for

·
Registered
72 Posts
i recently decided to clean out my air filter and put a hydro shield on... but i decided to stop driving around like i own the roads. I went from 29mpg to averaging about 37-39. i don't have the XFE so i think that's pretty good. i still don't see how people are getting high 40's low 50's. SO i'd have to say your habits are the greatest thing to help mpg, and its also the cheapest

·
Registered
311 Posts
i recently decided to clean out my air filter and put a hydro shield on... but i decided to stop driving around like i own the roads. I went from 29mpg to averaging about 37-39. i don't have the XFE so i think that's pretty good. i still don't see how people are getting high 40's low 50's. SO i'd have to say your habits are the greatest thing to help mpg, and its also the cheapest
WHAT!! ..NO THUMBS UP EMOTICON? :bigsmile:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would agree on that except for one issue, if you're driving on the freeway where I live in SoCal, if you slow down going uphill, you'll either get rear-ended, high-beams flashed at you, or tailgated. Two of which are annoying. The other costs money, phone calls to your insurance company, and your local body shop. Just saying.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Changing your driving habits help more then mods to your car.

I would say that with any ecomodder/hypermodder adjusting the nut behind the wheel will account for around 70% of your improvement in mpg while mods to the car will probably only account for 30% of any improvement.

Some things in these links are easy and everyone should be doing them but some are "advanced hypermiling techniques" and should be given a great deal of thought before attempting them.

65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.