Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheaper Cold Air Intake?

8K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  Plain Jane 
#1 ·
I've been scouring the internet trying to find a cold air intake for the cobalt that isn't going to break the bank. Spending over $250 for a CAI for minimal gains seems a little ridiculous to me. Do any of you happen to know of a cheaper CAI?

#2 · (Edited)
#12 ·
I know taking out the stock tubing and ugly awkward lookin box from the tb to the maf wont do much but it should help a tiny bit right? Ill just ghetto rig the airbox to house a k&n cone filter. And if i do get a P0171 it wont cause me to lose power will it?

#20 ·
I got my typhoon on craigslist for 40$. Filter still had fresh oil in it. Guy didnt know what he had.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I have the SAI and its annoying. First start of the day and it sounds like a jet engine until its done. My sai just hangs around. When attached to the typhoon it would rub on my pullys.

#21 ·
Your just looking at adding a sound generator, not realizing what your doing. If your wanting more power, start with a bigger intake manifold first i.e. 2.4L LE5, then go bigger throttle body, then lastly go with SRI. The stock airbox pulls enough air to give you the best in fuel economy far as cfm's go. The airflow is measure through cm/g. The intake will give a slight pull at high rpms cause the plenum in the manifold just pulls as much air as it can without being stored.

Far as CAI vs SRI, your only getting about a few degrees of airflow change difference. Yes, the colder the air, the denser and less fuel mixture is required, but in a CAI, you burn up the fuel for the sound, so it kinda defeats fuel economy concern. The SRI will pull air quicker since less air travel is required, a tad bit more of degrees is added from being near the engine bay, this creates better fuel economy in the long run if you keep your foot lead free. Thats the whole idea behind SRI and CAI.

Personally from cobalt experience, the best bang for both worlds of performance and fuel economy is K&N Drop in with the ZZP intake tube. I had just the drop in at one point, and saw an increase of roughly 1.5 more mpg, power picked up just like a SRI, no sound difference from stock :)

#23 ·
#25 ·
There was no "frank-in-hacking" there.

It was all bolt-in and go, all specifically made for the car, with the factory air box and MAF placement.

I'd rather have the factory look than some aftermarket CAI in there making more noise and not giving me anymore gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.