Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Today my 05 Cobalt Base Model Coupe sat at work for 9 hours. I went to start it which seemed fine and I noticed the DIC said "Check Charging System". The dash lights seemed SLIGHTLY dimmer. I drove across the street to Advance Auto with no issues. They tested my battery which gave me the following results. 77 degrees F outside. Car off, the battery had 645 CCA out of 650 and 12.1V. With the car running, the voltage was 11.86. Very suspicious.

I tried to get home and didn't even get 4 miles without the "check charging system" to alert me, then "Battery saver mode" popped on and alternated between the two messages. I pulled over in a parking lot and eventually the car died. I could smell a burning plastic or rubber smell coming from underneath the hood in the area of the alternator. Not sure if it's the electrical components within the alternator or if it was the belt that I was smelling.

I didn't experience any check engine lights on or battery lights on while this happened. I didn't hear any noises from what I could tell either.

I didn't notice anything funny on the way to work either. This was just all of the sudden.

My guess is the alternator but I was hoping that I could get some input from others. Thank you.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The belt didn't break lol. All good with that. The shop called me and said it's the alternator. Amazing how it died without warning over time. They are putting a 140 amp alternator in. Not sure what OEM is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The belt didn't break lol. All good with that. The shop called me and said it's the alternator. Amazing how it died without warning over time. They are putting a 140 amp alternator in. Not sure what OEM is.
Mine did about 2 months ago, when i started up. Stuck to back roads, all electrical off and coasting got me half way home. Had to call wife for a boost. Not bad for 250K on a belt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.