Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 2.2 L 5 speed, with only 900 miles. The check engine is now on. Called Onstar and was told it is the emission system, check the gas cap and it should go off after 7 or so starts. Well it has not gone off. The question is how can I check myself which code is setting off the check engine light? Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
With 900 miles just take it back to the dealer. You can get autozone to read the code before you go just so you have verification, but I would not touch a 900 mile car with a wrench.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There's not much worse than being on a long trip and having the SES (CEL) light come on. It makes you worry that there could be a major problem that could cause you to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. The SES will come on for the simplest things and not be a serious problem at all -- like the gas cap not being tight. In this day and age everyone should pick up a cheap code reader -- one with an "erase" feature. Not to become a repairman, but just for the "peace-of-mind" of knowing what the SES (CEL) is for.

Pick one up at AutoZone or any parts house, make sure it works on your car, and remember to carry it with you so you can verify what is wrong...so you'll know whether or not you can keep driving without having to worry about the engine blowing up...LoL!

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
There's not much worse than being on a long trip and having the SES (CEL) light come on. It makes you worry that there could be a major problem that could cause you to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. The SES will come on for the simplest things and not be a serious problem at all -- like the gas cap not being tight. In this day and age everyone should pick up a cheap code reader -- one with an "erase" feature. Not to become a repairman, but just for the "peace-of-mind" of knowing what the SES (CEL) is for.

Pick one up at AutoZone or any parts house, make sure it works on your car, and remember to carry it with you so you can verify what is wrong...so you'll know whether or not you can keep driving without having to worry about the engine blowing up...LoL!
^^^ This is awesome advise for us all. A great thing to keep in the car on long trips.

Thanks for the help, if I can find a Auto zone close I will try that, if not it goes to the dealer Monday. I will let you know how it turns out
Yes, we will be hoping for the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to the local auto zone for the code check,
p0442
defective or loose fuel cap
EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected
purge or vent solenoid defective
vacume leak at engine
Well I did the easy one, the gas cap seal is intact and clean, stared the engine about 10 times and the SES is stil lon, guess it goes to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on mycar. After waiting 24 hours for them to diagnose the code, it comes down to the need for a new cas tank. 900 miles and I need a new gas tank, cann't believe it. So the Cobalt is at the dealer waiting for the part to arrive. I have a loaner from them at least, lucky me I got their last one. Is trhere anything I should keep my eye on when I get it back, like new squeeks or rattles, I do not kow how much of the car they have to remove to get to the tank.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Gas*
and if the dealer is fixing it i wouldnt worry about anything

kinda weird you only have 900 miles and need a new one
pretty crazy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last update on gas tank. Got the Cobalt back today with the new gas tank, paper work says a crack in the one they took out. I wonder how that happened. Everything seems to be fine , thanks for the help with my problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes , my son got the same reading when he got his scanned a few days ago . code po446 . his car has 54,000 miles on it though . we replaced the purge and vent solenoids , light is still on . so my next guess in the gas cap , if not that , maybe a problem with his charcoal canister . so i hope we soon find it ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.