Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my brother has a 2006 or 2007 cobalt, non ecotec, it is throwing code P0466

he took it to the local autoparts store where they scanned it. The guy told him it was related to a gas cap sensor (unsure if this guy that scanned it knows his stuff or if he is just blowing smoke)

anyway, we have a cavalier also in the family, so we swapped gas caps and the check engine light didn't go away

do we need to pull the negative on the battery and leave it sit for 1/2 hour to clear the computer code?

Is code P0466 even related to the gas cap?

Looking at the The Official DTC (CEL) List!

http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/18037-official-dtc-cel-list.html

it says code P0466 Purge Flow Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Make : CHEVROLET
Model : COBALT
Year : 2007
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Service Bulletin Num : 3627
Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 1901
NHTSA Item Number: 10018624

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP
Summary:
FUEL TANK IS SLOW TO FILL AND/OR DTC P0446 - INSPECT EVAP VENT PIPE. THE SES LAMP MAY BE ILLUMINATED DUE TO A P0466 DTC. *TT UPDATED 08-15-07. *KB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, thanks for the fast reply

I should have googled cobalt P0466, but hopefully my question will help someone else in the future

thanks again for the reply

however I don't think the bulletin was in 1901 :blink1:

Service Bulletin Num : 3627
Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 1901

I will call our local dealer to see what they say about this.
Are bulletins covered under recalls? I think there is a difference, such as a bulletin the customer pays for the repair, a recall the auto manufacturer pays for the repair
is this correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just got back from the dealer

they said that it is possibly a gas tank vent solenoid
something to do with the release of pressure from expansion of the gas tank, which vents into either the intake or carbon canister

Anyone know if this is a common problem. I have always worked on my own vehicles rather than taking it to the dealer. If I can get pointed in the right direction, I'd rather fix it myself than take it to the dealer.

The dealer wanted $30 (which isn't bad) to scan it, they said that they could cycle the solenoid while connected to the scanner, to determine if it is actually the solenoid valve or something else

But I'm still checking on here to see if anyone knows more about this problem, before having to pay the dealer for them to scan it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
check your evap purge solenoid. it's connected to hard plastic lines to the right of your engine above the transmission. it's black and grey about 3 inches by 1 inch. what you should do is disconnect one end of it and blow through it. blow hard, if you feel air going through, buy a new one. this should fix your problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did what you said and the solenoid valve seems to be working fine

No leaking
I put 12v to it and the solenoid is operating fine, when it opens, air flows thru, when power is removed, no leaks (i blew into both sides and it seals off)

Just something to add, the car has about 35k on it. Not to say that components can't fail at low mileage, but it isn't really high mileage thou either..

Any other ideas? I'm not familiar enough with this car to figure it out without help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
931 Posts
this is a common problem... real common with the 09 cars...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your dealer is a scam if they are charging you to pull codes.

I used to get that problem. Stop filling it with the ignition running your fuel pump. Messes up the pressure. If they cleared it, than it should not come back on as long as the fuel cap is tight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know of any dealer that will pull codes for free

I had an autoparts pull the codes (as they will do it for free) and it only gave up the one code

I don't think the car is being filled while running (I'll check with my brother as he is the one that uses the car)

If he says that he isn't filling it while running, and we already tested a different gas cap, what else could it be?

Is there any way to clear the code ourself without taking it to the dealer. If the ground is pulled off the battery for a few hours, will it reset the computer?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
there is another evap purge solenoid under the car. check the evap lines along the car to see if someone accidentally jacked the car up from the wrong point and damaged shit.

(1) Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid
(2) Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister
(3) Fuel Tank
(4) Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly
(5) C305
(6) Fuel Filter
(7) Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor

check 1 like you did the one up front.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Remember, even if the key is on yet the car is shut off, the fuel pump is still running.

Pull up to any local auto shop and ask them to clear the codes. Free of charge, at least around here. I have never heard of anyone charging money for pulling codes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.