Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Cobalt a few months ago and have had issues that whenever i fill up with gas the check engine light comes on the following day... I took it back to the place i bought it from and they said that i wasnt doing the cap up properly and reset it. So i fill up again, make sure the cap clicks several times, then click it a few more times for good measure and sure enough, the light comes on the next day, again told it is not done up properly...

A google of this suggests this is a common problem and also showed me this forum but i have not really found anywhere that gives a real answer... Most generic car/Chevy forums are full of "do the cap up properly" responses.

Has anyone on here had the problem and resolved it?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Always post year of car when asking help. We need the DTC...then we can help. Is the gas filler neck rusted or dinged? Is the rubber seal on the gas cap cracked or ripped?

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Hi there Pritchard,

I saw your introductory post - 2008 Cobalt, correct? Had you been working with a GM dealership (you mentioned bringing it back to the place of purchase)?

Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had this issue with our '05 a couple years back. New gas cap and problem solved. Old cap just wasn't making a good seal, the gasket was dryrotted. My guess is this is likely your issue as well. Cheap fix. I also wouldn't reccomend getting a cheap one from a stick-on parts supplier. Go to the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had a 1996 monte carlo with the same problem mechanic told me when putting gas in it, to quit filling it when the nozzle clicks off and not to fill it too full because you are putting fuel in the vacuum canister i did what he told me and problem was solved

·
Registered
62 Posts
i had a 1996 monte carlo with the same problem mechanic told me when putting gas in it, to quit filling it when the nozzle clicks off and not to fill it too full because you are putting fuel in the vacuum canister i did what he told me and problem was solved
Odd. I fill mine till it spits out the filler neck, (when I have a good discount, that is,) and I never had this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 Chevy cobalt sport and my check
Engine light has been coming on for a while now. I put it on a machine and was told that the system is saying I have a leak in my EVAP system. Here's the thing, we put my car on a "smoke" test, and they found nothing, changed my fuel
Cap, reset the code and now after three weeks, the CEL came
Back on. HELP?? I love my Chevy but it's stressing me out.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Posting same question twice is going to get you the same answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.