Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i recently got a CEL, and brought the car over to my buddy who works at advanced auto parts.
he checked the code and knew that i was topping off my gas tank. told me how it is not good for the car and i shouldnt do it. was news to me, but okay lesson learned.

he cleared out the code and told me to unscrew my gas cap and then put it back on.... the car was good for the entire day. the next morning, i had the cel back and i brought it to him again, he read the code and had me buy a new gas cap.

cleared out the code, and the car ran fine.
today, after driving around a bit, the message center came up saying to check the gas cap.

sounds like there is a sensor in the factory gas cap which lets the car know when the cap is on/off.
is there some way to fix the "check gas cap" issue, it comes on everytime i drive.

thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had this about 6 months after I bought my Cobalt. Took it to dealer and it was a failed sensor they replaced under warranty. I don't know much else about it though, except I don't think it was in the actual cap, but somewhere near it in the tank, and it checks tank pressure. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Make sure that when you put your gas cap on, you screw it on until it starts clicking.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
Check the rubber gasket around the actual cap? The gas cap is for you vehicle right? I atleast know that your buddy has the right system to look up parts with, unlike autozone, who gives you generics ones that are "one size fits all".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.