Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, sorry if a thread for this exists. I haven't been able to find something that answered all of my questions.

I'm looking to bump the HP in my 2010 Cobalt LT (Auto; 2.2L) and I've been lurking trying to find all the best upgrades to do before doing a Trifecta Tune. For now, I think I'm going to try to keep it NA, since it seems safer and more affordable. Here's what I've picked out so far, but I'm sure I'm missing something. Please take a look and let me know what I've got right, and what I should do differently.

1. K&N Cold Air Intake
2010 Chevrolet Cobalt 2.2l L4 Cold Air Intake
2. Cat Back Exhaust
Zzperformance 2 5" Stainless 2005 10 Chevrolet Cobalt Catback Exhaust System G5 | eBay
3. Trifecta Tune

:thanks

·
Say What again!
6,292 Posts
If you're going to get a tune - it would be worth doing the 2.4L intake manifold/throttle body swap. For NA, that will show some pretty decent gains with a tune.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Do you happen to have a decent link on where to find those parts?

Also, does the Cat Back I listed include all the parts I need? I'm new at this, so I have no idea if it's got everything or if it's missing something.

·
Say What again!
6,292 Posts
Crate Engine Depot used to have a kit...but I cannot seem to find it.

I can't get on ebay at work, so I'm not able to see what's in that exhaust, but I know ZZP makes a few versions for the different engines.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, I saw the link was broken from the "The Intake System" sticky.

If I do the 2.4L intake manifold/throttle body swap, would the 2.2L version of the K&N filter still work, or would I need the 2.4L version?

As for the exhaust, here's what's listed as included:
2.5" Polished Stainless Piping
2.5" Triple Chamber Stainless Resonator with 2.5" flange that bolts to stock downpipe
Triple Chamber Stainless Muffler with 4" Stainless Tip
2.5" gasket w/nuts and bolts
(3) 2.5" Torctite step Clamps

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I got an intake for sale if u want it.
An intake manifold, or the CAI? Either way, I'm interested, but currently don't have enough saved up (I just graduated and started a new job). Still, it would be nice to know what a manifold/throttle body costs.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That zzp catback should be everything you need to bolt it on straight to your downpipe, might want to look into a header/downpipe combo as well though..
On the bright side, with the exception of the throttle body and possibly intake manifold, the rest of the parts can be bought and put on individually without a tune

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That zzp catback should be everything you need to bolt it on straight to your downpipe, might want to look into a header/downpipe combo as well though..
On the bright side, with the exception of the throttle body and possibly intake manifold, the rest of the parts can be bought and put on individually without a tune
Thanks! Is there a specific header/downpipe combo that you'd recommend?

I've read that CAI & Cat Back don't really do anything until the tune. Is there any truth to that?

·
Say What again!
6,292 Posts
Oh, they do something, just not a ton. Even with the tune, they don't really make "more" power than they did without one - it's the tune itself that really does it.

ZZP makes a good header/downpipe.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, I see.

Did you ever happen to find a good place to buy the 2.4L intake manifold/throttle body kit?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You are probably far better off finding a used one somewhere, just looked on ced and a new 2.4 manifold is apparently going for over 400 unless I was looking at the wrong thing haha

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any ideas on where to start looking? I wouldn't even have a clue where to get started.

Also, thanks to everyone who answered all my questions! This has been a very helpful thread for a noob like me.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think pj might still have an intake/tb setup he's trying to sell, can't even tell you how many times he's tried getting me to but it off him haha

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Wait, you have a 2010, I'm sure somebody knows for sure and hopefully chimes in for sure but I think the 09+ 2.2 was updated with the same manifold off the 2.4 in which case you would just need the throttle body

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well that'd certainly help cut costs! I suppose we'll wait and see if anyone knows for sure...

One other question, if I upgrade to the 2.4L TB, would I need the 2.4L version of the CAI, or would the 2.2L still be the one I'd need to buy?

EDIT: Who's PJ? I just joined the forums today, so I don't know anyone yet.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The cai would be the same either way, and pj is Plain Jane, I'm sure he will wind up popping in here eventually though

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! I might end up sending him a PM if he doesn't show up here after a few days.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Planicus Janeicus Maximus, at your service. Think of me as the vendor from Resident Evil (don't shoot me!)

Yes, I've got a few miscellaneous intake related items up for sale. I got rid of my Injen awhile ago, but I do have a used LSJ TB (from the supercharged Cobalt model) and an adapter harness and plate to mate it to an LE5 (SS/NA 2.4) manifold. I do believe your LAP motor uses a very similarly designed intake manifold to the LE5, so you wouldn't necessarily need to upgrade that. The LSJ TB has a wider diameter and should be able to flow more air through it and into your engine versus the 2.4 TB.

I've also got a 3" in/out 90 degree elbow coupler to connect your aftermarket intake (in my case, the Injen CAI) to the upgraded TB, as the 3" in/2.75" out would no longer fit. I bought the coupler from siliconeintakes.com.

Do me a favor, count the number of pins in the connector that feeds your stock TB. It's either going to be 6 or 8. If it's a match with mine, it'll work for you. If not, you'll need another cable.

All items besides the TB are brand new and never been used.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
No, it's just to feed power to your throttle body and TPS. The LSJ TB has an 8 pin female connector, and my L61 has an 8 pin feeding it as well. If your LAP is a 6 pin, you'll need a different adapter cable to make the connection.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.