Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking at the cavaliers in the convertible style. i see they most ly have the 2.4 twin cam engine and the parts stores tell me to stay away from these engines because of a poor water pump design. i kind of think that is correct because a ton of them on craigs list say engine need to be replaced. for some reasons? but i also want to know if the automatic can be ruined by towing behind a truck,rv etc. there is one on my area for sale 108k on it. they say mostly towing miles. i did not think it you towed them with the engine off the miles clocked up? and if you towed them with the engine running they did?

so what is the deal he said you can disconnect the transmissions for towing, the only car i found so far that did that was the early goe metros. they did that for towing reasons it was so small.

any comments? thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
If towed, in neutral and front wheels rolled, milage will go up if im not mistaken.

They could have use a drive shaft coupling, but dont know how that works on fwd

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what might some of those issue be? i biggest one i heard was the water pump failing into the engine and diluting the oil with water. i guess i can check that often enough but i will not be putting many miles on the car as i will use it for car shows and sunday drives. not many to work trips.

hw are the 2.4 engines for fuel economy? and are the transmissions in these cars ok or might i have issues with it as well?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What year Cavalier?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the 97 z24 hence my username lol.
Fuel economy is good I used to get 22city 31hwy on auto trans.
Never had engine issue other than the water pump too.
Trans went out only 1 and 2 gear will work. Sold the car, never knew if the car was fix. I miss it, should had fix the trans and kept it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'll tell you this. The quad 4 engine (2.4L) was only bested by the diesel 350ci they brought out in the 80's for worst pos in the world. Please do not buy a cavalier with a 2.4L.

If you do and you have engine problems then I will flood your post with "told you so" comments. :p

No junkyard in Nova Scotia will warranty them and they all blow up around 200k km.

Sent from the sexy electrician

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

V6 went away in 94 with the 2nd gens. Motors were almost bullet proof but the four bangers in the upper trims were better for modifying.

Loved my 1993 sunbird gt with the flip up headlights that I bought for $100 as a winter beater. It got 700km to a tank and was a manual transmission. It was getting a little weak though because it had 342k km on it. The throw out bearing was bypassing so you had to put the car in neutral at every stop. Even so it's been my favourite winter beater I ever had.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
the 2.2s are good, a lot less problems than the 2.4's but know a few who had them and did not have an issue but the risk is there like anything. Best cavalier besides an 90 3.1 v6 imo is the mid year 2002's that got the 2.2 ecotech with the LS Sport package, I still think they are a good looking ride. I tried to find one in decent shape before buying a new car but no go.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What year Cavalier?
any years. i'm looking for convertibles and no particular year at this time just a nice one. but i'm concerned about the drive train and it's durability. i heard the 2.4 is not a very good engine. i have a cobalt with the 2.2 and that engine seems to be a nice engine. thanks

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

the 2.2s are good, a lot less problems than the 2.4's but know a few who had them and did not have an issue but the risk is there like anything. Best cavalier besides an 90 3.1 v6 imo is the mid year 2002's that got the 2.2 ecotech with the LS Sport package, I still think they are a good looking ride. I tried to find one in decent shape before buying a new car but no go.
thanks beamer. i was leaning towards the 2.2 auto trans vert style. but they ahre hard to find in good shape. a z24 is it would even be better. i want this to use for the car show circuit. if i can find one in good shape with some sprucing up that would be a winner. but so far none around.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just need to look for the " j body frame rot" that seems to claim the lives of most of these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.