Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hydra-Matic 4T45E

Specifications
Type: four-speed front-wheel-drive, electronically controlled, automatic overdrive transaxle with electronically controlled torque converter clutch.

Engine Range: 2.2L-3.5L

Max Gearbox Torque:
325 lb.-ft.

Weight:
188 lbs.

Assembly Site: Windsor, Ontario

Applications: Chevrolet: Cobalt, Malibu, Pontiac: G5, G6, Saturn Aura, Vue 4-Cylinder

Source: GMinsidenews.com

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
According to the factory service manuals all auto Cobalts have the 4T45E version. Don't know the difference....

LS/LT 2.2 autos have 3.63:1 final drive ratio (38/34 tooth chain drive, 3.05 gearing)
SS 2.4 autos have 3.91:1 final drive ratio (38/34 tooth chain drive, 3.29 gearing)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hypothetically say I have the Auto and want a Manual. I don't care if it's a Cobalt tranny or not, i just want a Manual. Anybody done a swap or know where there's a write up on one?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hypothetically say I have the Auto and want a Manual. I don't care if it's a Cobalt tranny or not, i just want a Manual. Anybody done a swap or know where there's a write up on one?
Not worth the effort...obviously it can be done physically since the Cobalt comes with both. You would need to redo the computers and wiring (this is the part that is not easy to do unless you have a COMPLETE donor car), R+R all the shift mechanisms, add clutch hardware/system, replace the engine mount/tranny mounts, and replace the Exhaust Downpipe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The reason i want to put a manual in is because the acceleration sucks. How can i fix that since a tranny swap is out of the question for my budget, time and skill level?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The reason i want to put a manual in is because the acceleration sucks. How can i fix that since a tranny swap is out of the question for my budget, time and skill level?
What year Cobalt do you have? Start with a cat-back exhaust (GMPP performance would be a nice start) then a CAI intake like K&N, Injen, AEM, or GMPP. Tune would be nice or check to see if a Jet Performance Module is made for your year Cobalt (and engine size: 2.2-2.4).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I"m new. What do you mean by a tune? Is it something i can do myself or do i have to take it somewhere? Im just trying to get rid of the interminable pause between the time my foot hits the floor and me getting pushed back in the seat.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I"m new. What do you mean by a tune? Is it something i can do myself or do i have to take it somewhere? Im just trying to get rid of the interminable pause between the time my foot hits the floor and me getting pushed back in the seat.
This is not being rude...if you don't understand what a tune is don't even consider trying to do it yourself! Go to the HPtuners site and read up on tuning.

You have an economy car...actually you haven't let us know what you have...you can get decent power with add-ons as listed before. If you are refering to the converter lag...don't think you are going to get rid of that.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have an 05 base model.
Just realize that you have a nice economy car with more power than most economy cars. Basic add-ons will provide about 15 more wheel horsepower -- about 10-12% increase. The base 05 and 06 2.2 has a slightly restrictive exhaust manifold -- just installing an SS version or the extrude honed exhaust manifold will help too. A cat-back exhaust will wake your car up...and then follow that with an aftermarket or GMPP intake. Then swap out the manifold -- since it is an 05 you can be sure the 3 15MM nuts holding the Downpipe/cat assembly will be a "BEAR" to remove.

Do you have SAI? -- if you do then you can't replace the manifold because it is a special manifold that no one provides a replacement for. You will have a second smaller hose coming out of your air filter box if you have SAI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't see this extraneous little hose, but then again I don't know exactly where to look for it. Also, what is SAI? I couldn't find it in other threads or with the search feature.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Damn it. I've got it.
If you do have it your exhaust manifold is welded steel -- looks like a header actually, and you have a valve assy sitting on top of the manifold between the valve cover and firewall. There is an electric air pump between the engine and radiator too.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts