Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
How can I treak my tranny so it shifts like it has a shift kit? Currently it does occasionally and its pretty impressive to have the tires chirp going into 2nd gear. But I was told it is due to a bad GMLan or a couple fuses. Is there a way I can hardwire it to shift like that? Maybe have on a switch so I control that feature.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
B&M Shift Plus or a trans tune will make it shift a good amount harder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok the HHR SS automatic trans has a 4T45e as well and clearly can hold power since it can came turbo'd. Does anyone know how many ft/tq it can handle and if it will bolt up to a auto cobalt since their both ecotecs?

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
It shouldn't be any different than the Cobalt's 4T45E, though you'd have to double check on the mounting scheme. The HHR SS Auto has a 3.29:1 final drive vs the Cobalt's 3.63:1, so you'll gain a little top end at the expense of acceleration...

So ultimately it's a complete waste of time to swap the stock 4T45E for the HHR SS's 4T45E, since it's no different inside other than the final drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It shouldn't be any different than the Cobalt's 4T45E, though you'd have to double check on the mounting scheme. The HHR SS Auto has a 3.29:1 final drive vs the Cobalt's 3.63:1, so you'll gain a little top end at the expense of acceleration...

So ultimately it's a complete waste of time to swap the stock 4T45E for the HHR SS's 4T45E, since it's no different inside other than the final drive.
So what is the HHR SS's rated power? Because I read on here that the HHR's 2.2l has a final drive ratio of 3.91 for extra weight and towing. So would it more beneficial to just get the HHR 2.2L transmission or the HHR SS's? I'm tired of being limited at just 325ft/tq.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
So what is the HHR SS's rated power? Because I read on here that the HHR's 2.2l has a final drive ratio of 3.91 for extra weight and towing. So would it more beneficial to just get the HHR 2.2L transmission or the HHR SS's? I'm tired of being limited at just 325ft/tq.
It's not rated any higher, it's the same transmission, just with a differential final drive ratio. 325 ft/lbs is quite a lot of torque...

The 2.2L HHR 4T45E with the 3.91 would be a better option than the 3.29 HHR SS 4T45E. There is no different torque capability.

Will the 4T45E 2.4 trans bolt up to an auto 2.2 motor and function the same but with higher ratings?
Yes, it will bolt up, and there are no higher ratings. It's the same transmission.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yep, it's the exact same trans as the one in the 2.2. Same gearing, everything.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
No. It's the exact same transmission. No differences at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
10 Cobalt automatic transmission acts like brake

10 Cobalt automatic transmission acts like brake in lower gears but frees up in 3rd and at 65mpy runs 1200 more rpm than normal. This happened on a 400 mile trip but when I stopped at a truck stop to check fluid level. Car idled for about ten minutes while I looked for dipstick and found in book you can't check it. I decided to try to get it home (70 more miles) but it started working correctly when I drove off.
Anyone else experienced this? What can cause this?

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Fluid levels can do this, or dirty transmission fluid or Torque Converter solenoid but you would have had a transmission fault code for the later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any one have an idea what is going with my Cobalt? I have an 06 LT Coupe Automatic when you first start it up and shift it into reverse it just sits and idles. It goes forward just like normal no problems at all. After driving around for a while and put it in reverse it jumps but will engage. I was told I would need a new transmission but was just wondering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anybody had any issues with third and fourth gear randomly just stop working without any warning or any signs? somebody told me to check the modulator valve and was wondering if it has happened to anybody else before.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How can I treak my tranny so it shifts like it has a shift kit? Currently it does occasionally and its pretty impressive to have the tires chirp going into 2nd gear. But I was told it is due to a bad GMLan or a couple fuses. Is there a way I can hardwire it to shift like that? Maybe have on a switch so I control that feature.
The chirping noise is actually the belt slipping on the alternator because it "shifts" too fast. =P does it on mine constantly. Been using [low] gear for launches to 65ish and after 60k+ miles of doing it i just replaced my torque converter, but it will do it every time.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
"L" will allow 1 and 2, "I" will allow 1-3.

It doesn't magically make the car faster, though. :laugh:

It'll still shift into 2nd when it sees fit. Which, at WOT - is at redline. Same as if you had left it in Drive.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts