Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperature outside is 12 Celsius and the car is hitting 106 Celsius then the fan kicks in , is this normal?

·
Registered
911 Posts
mine does that too in the winter...actually the highest I've seen mine was 103 and the fan kicked in and it was -15 outside...does it mostly in drivethrus I find (well notice it more anyways)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i think it's around 220? either way mine his about 216 sometimes, turn on the heater for a while and it'll kick off

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
Wow, that's toasty. Mine usually sits around 190*F

·
Registered
302 Posts
during our hottest days while i'm at a light or heavy traffic mine will go to 220 and fan will come on and temp goes right down to 190-195, talked to the dealership and they said it was normal

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had another post on this, as mine did this unexpectedly also. It went up to 220 really fast sitting at a stop light. It was the first time I drove it without the A/C. I've been told here it is normal, as the A/C has the fan constantly running and it had not kicked in yet with the A/C off. It has not done this since and I've had the A/C on the whole time, so I agree with what I was told.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The temperature outside is 12 Celsius and the car is hitting 106 Celsius then the fan kicks in , is this normal?
I am in Canada and even through this hot summer we have just had, I have never seen the temp above 98C. Could be a thermostat issue or maybe you need an oil change??? Just a couple of ideas.

I don't think it should be running that hot - ever.

Conversion Formula (F to C and C to F)...

°C x 9/5 + 32 = °F
(°F - 32) x 5/9 = °C

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
Oil doesn't affect coolant temp...

Try water wetter in the coolant.

·
Registered
911 Posts
appearently Royal Purple is supposed to make ur car run cooler, but I think thats only true if u replace all ur fluids, especially the coolant...but I've never had mine hit as high as his did (106c) even on the hottest day and with the way I drive

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
Oil really shouldn't affect that at all.

Water wetter, on the other hand...

I usually sit around 190 in 90 degree weather with no AC on.

·
Registered
212 Posts
well I might as well jump in with my stats:

my DIC is always on coolant by default

normally it's at 82C (180F)
under load at 95C (203F)
MAX ever during a hot day in heavy traffic at 110C (230F)

but I guess as long as the car does not say it's overheating it's ok.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was idling in the parking lot for about 10 minutes, no ac on, and I here the fan cut on. I go to the coolant and its 217. I was like OMFG!! But it quickly went back down to 189. And since everyone said its normal I'm just not going to worry about it.
Perfectly normal for an electric fan...low speed fan kicks on at 217* and off at 190* the stock stat temp. It'll always heat up to 217 at idle because there isn't any air going through the radiator. Now if this was a truck with a clutch fan you'd have a prob.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.