Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanic recently changed water pump, thermostat and head gasket. when we got the car back from the mechanic the car temperature kicks up to 235-245 and the emergency fan comes on, which I hear is normal when the car hits that temperature. why would it be running at 235 when it should be running at 190?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It shouldn't reach that high on highway. Maybe stuck in traffic when it's 90°F.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Normal Coolant Operation?

:confused:

Hey guys,
So without starting a new thread that has probably been asked a hundred times: This is the only thread I can find that might be along the same lines.

I have 2006 2.2 and today it's fairly hot outside @94° F. I am just driving around town with my A/C on and started watching the temp readout. It was hovering around 189-199 while driving. Got home, checked both hoses and they were hot but no fan running. So let it idle- went to 216° still no fan. Shut it down. And this is all hilly city driving.

So I guess what I'm asking, is this normal? What is the average operating temperature, when does the fan kick on, and at what temp. does the over-heat light come on?
Couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. I know these newer cars run hotter but... 216° seems too hot?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
my old 08 would usually will go to 220 before the fan would kick in. At idle. Now if you were driving around and it got to 220 I may worry, but sitting on a hot day 216 sounds fair and not a worry.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Worrying for nothing.

This is all normal, when temperature reaches a predetermined value fan or fans come on and bring temps down then shut off until temps reach these value again. The two fan speeds are determined by coolant temperature. The PCM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT) exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F).
• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 310 kPa (190 psi).
• After the vehicle is shut off, the ECT at key-off is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.

The PCM commands High Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:
• ECT reaches 110°C (230°F).
• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1 655 kPa (240 psi).
• When certain DTCs set

You should worry about the thermostat when vehicle engine operating temperatures are not reached. Because the thermostat is set to open at 192°F (89°C), as a thermostat ages it opens more and more at lower and lower temps because the spring gets weak. At one point it will set a code and your check engine light will come on because your engine did not reach a preset value in a preset amount of time.

It will be one of these codes depending on what type of thermostat failure...Most probably a P0116 or P0126.

P0115 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Malfunction
P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input
P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input
P0119 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Intermittent - see our "articles" link for additional help with these generic check engine light codes
P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control
P0126 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Stable Operation

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, that does make me feel better, and I do understand what you're saying about not reaching operating temp.
Thanks from all of us who are worried (I mean concerned) for nothing. :thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.