Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing on Sonics with the 1.4 Turbo and the performance and mpgs are pretty nice compared to the heavier Cruze. How is the performance compared to the 1.4 engine in the Sonic and 2.2 in my Cobalt? I just need ya'll to convince me to keep my 2.2 :bigsmile:

I mean, It seems to be a descent upgrade, especially that GM's working on a Stage 1 tune for the Sonic/Cruze 1.4T. And no can't afford a 26k Cruze Diesel in case you're wondering lol.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You need me to convince you that a smaller car with only 138hp (with a turbo) is not a better deal than your balt? We have issues sir!

·
Registered
302 Posts
hes got a 2.2 so yes its a better deal. 10000x nicer interior even for a little cheap car.

And good tunes get them near 200whp which is AWESOME in that little car.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^BS. how can a tune take a car that gets 138hp at the crank to 200whp? I call your bluff sir. Sure it's a bit more upgraded, it's newer. But it's still nothing compared to the cobalt 2.2. My 2.2 stock made more and now its got 168.9whp.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
A buddy has a sonic ltz turbo. You have to realize the turbo isn't for boost like the cobalt ss one is. It's for mileage. The car is pretty sweet but its got like economy everything so its not really fast, but it does pretty well. If you buy it just wait till there are more performance parts out.

Also get the 6 speed

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Performance parts will only get you so far when you have 138hp stock!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
never stopped the Honda crowd from buying Hondas :p

I too read somewhere that with a tune they're getting about 200hp outta them. Personally if I was looking for a fuel efficient car I would prob by the cruze diesel and if I couldn't afford that then I would keep what you have because its not that bad.

Of course I like trucks and mustangs so fuel efficiency isn't high on my personal list.

That white sonic someone posted with the orange was pretty nice though. Fuel efficiency = boring, lack of mpg = FUN FUN FUN!!!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I've heard they are coming out with some "Z-spec" or something of the sort. Mostly visual appeal, but four piston calipers, and some other suspension stuff that wasn't specified. I guess if the turbo is specifically being used for mpg and you convert that to hp you could get up to 200, but what about internal integrity. Thats a large jump for a car not ment to be a power house. Too many concerns for me.

Hondas, those guys put all sorts of crap on those things. The v6 transplant is one of my favs so far! Maybe someone will do that with the Sonic!

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Cliff,
If you have any questions about features on the Sonic, or want assistance locating one in your area, please don't hesitate to contact me either via private message or email (see my signature).
Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The forum I was reading on claimed he had many 1/4mile passes and drive it hard quite often and hasn't had an issue...just forget what forum.

I've been told by Honda ppl that the k24 swap is actually better than putting in a v6 because of the weight and takes a lot less modding. I myself once thought about putting a v6 into a civic hatch, of course my dad threatened to take me out of the will and said he would start buying me the skinny leg girl jeans like all the other Honda boys wear. I changed my mind

·
Registered
583 Posts
The forum I was reading on claimed he had many 1/4mile passes and drive it hard quite often and hasn't had an issue...just forget what forum.

I've been told by Honda ppl that the k24 swap is actually better than putting in a v6 because of the weight and takes a lot less modding. I myself once thought about putting a v6 into a civic hatch, of course my dad threatened to take me out of the will and said he would start buying me the skinny leg girl jeans like all the other Honda boys wear. I changed my mind

I do not drive a Honda -_- !!!!!!! LOL JK.. no girl jeans but Yes on the "Straight" jeans style...

Also I had the impression the H series are better?...the K series is newer one am I right>?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
a lot of ppl I know or have just talked to that have tried them said they were fun as anything to drive. If they'd make a small rwd car like the Miata I think they'd sell a lot more

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts

Your dad rocks...

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Your dad rocks...
lol he owns GM and only GM vehicles.

-2003 Tahoe
-2004.5 sierra 2500hd
-1971 Nova SS with the HO 350 (currently has a 406ci)
-1971 Nova with a built 350
-1997 Silverado 1500 for a plow truck

Every vehicle I can remember has been a gmc product.

·
Registered
188 Posts
^BS. how can a tune take a car that gets 138hp at the crank to 200whp? I call your bluff sir. Sure it's a bit more upgraded, it's newer. But it's still nothing compared to the cobalt 2.2. My 2.2 stock made more and now its got 168.9whp.
He's right they make that whp at around 22psi I read about that on cruze forum

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
a lot of ppl I know or have just talked to that have tried them said they were fun as anything to drive. If they'd make a small rwd car like the Miata I think they'd sell a lot more
They did, it was called the sky/solstice :):blink1::nahnah

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
ok sorry, no man buys a Saturn and no man was going to buy a solstice because it looked like a chicks car. They need to make a car with manual options (windows, locks, etc.) and give it the turbo 2.0L @ 260hp+ and make it just a 2 seater with a 5 speed and around 2500lbs. Give us this all for under $20K and it would sell like crazy.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
ok sorry, no man buys a Saturn and no man was going to buy a solstice because it looked like a chicks car. They need to make a car with manual options (windows, locks, etc.) and give it the turbo 2.0L @ 260hp+ and make it just a 2 seater with a 5 speed and around 2500lbs. Give us this all for under $20K and it would sell like crazy.
I know of some guys that did buy them, but that's beside the point. I do know if they made such a car as you are talking, I don't think it would sell like crazy, just look at the hype the cobalt ss's had when they first came out, and they didn't sell all that well. Granted they were more than $20k, but either way, they didn't sell well at all. So yeah, it's a nice hope and dream, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.