Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I recently inherited a 09 cobalt coupe from my dad(he bought a truck), and before I dive into spending money on engine mod's and the like, I am very interested in considerign an engine swap. Just wondering what you guys think of putting in a Chevy V6 or V8 into a Cobalt.. or whether it would fit without lots of trouble. I'm also to hear if anyone's done it before, i'd love to hear.

Thanks a Lot.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
In a brand new car.. LOL! you could turbo it and be WAY money/time/and effort ahead.. Not to mention probably have more power..

These are not 90's hondas..

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Well If you were going to go through all that fabrication I would go RWD with it also. But it would take a lot of money..

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would ballpark 10g's plus but since its never been done before who knows.

·
Registered
802 Posts
v8 swap has be done i think it was in modified mag or somthing it showed a guy's garage and in the corner you see a cobalt and in the lil subtitle box it said sbc cobalt...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Would a v8 even fit in the engine bay? It would take some serious fabrication. Id say more around $100K assuming you did all the custom work yourself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There's a _TON_ of fabrication for a V8 and RWD. You'll want to mount that engine longitudinally using the space for the current exhaust piping for the transmission tunnel and drive shaft. Pretty much, you'll be ripping the entire interior of the car out and creating a whole new firewall, transmission tunnel, etc. That in and of itself is a good solid 3+ months of work. Then building up the rear subframe to equip the proper suspension and rear-end as well as handling the torque from a V8...

If you have a shop to work in, a good deal of knowledge and some friends to help this would be an awesome project.

Check this out:

E30GTR-BUILD HOME

That's a huge fabrication project...

·
Registered
720 Posts
It's just sad what Rod has gone through...all the misfortune and stress...he's made good progress in some respects, but overall definitely not worth it. I've been watching it since shortly after I bought my Cobalt in 07.

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
It's just sad what Rod has gone through...all the misfortune and stress...he's made good progress in some respects, but overall definitely not worth it. I've been watching it since shortly after I bought my Cobalt in 07.
yeah its a cool idea though, just not practical at all, like its not even practical to swap a 2.2 for a 2.0sc or 2.4 motor or the trannys, not it cobalts that is

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.