1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
It would be nice, but I think Chevy will protect the V6 Camaro line and not do this. Plus in my opinion if it looks like the concept that was pictured, they can have it, cause that thing is fugley.... GM has a great FWD platform, all it needs are some balls behind it. If they want a RWD coupe, they need to redesign the Soltice/SKY, in my opinion. Chevy is falling behind in some aspects and needs to do somthing. I'm not a Ford guy at heart but I am slowley making the transfer considering new vehicles, I have a new explorer company vehicle with the turbo ecoboost and it is as fast as my buddies v6 camaro and I can haul stuff, 0-60 the same, 1/4 mile the same, better gas mileage and my fat ass can ride comfortably in it with 6 other prople. So I got a little off topic, but never the less, Chevy needs somthing because what they currently have as a line-up, coming from an old school chevy guy is subpar at best.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Looks too much like every other Chevy on the market right now. Love the idea, not crazy about the style.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Article says it's a outdated concept design that they won't use, good points though!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
yeah I was just gonna say its outdated, I've seen that already twice now over the years.

Doesn't even have to be RWD, just something quick and sporty. I drove a Sonic RS manual and it was honestly sad, you had to wring that stupid little engine right out to get anything and then the rev hang... oh jesus the rev hang, it was torture, I could take a sip of coffee before the revs started to come down.

They really do need to make a Cruze/Sonic SS with a 2.0T/260HP W/LSD, Recaro seating, Brembo's etc etc.. or save the SS and just load all that into the RS. Chevrolet needs a fun sport, SPORT compact car, and I think more juice in the RS models would do it... hell, even the 2.5 from the cadillac ATS would be nice, 200hp/190Tq, in a sonic or cruze that thing would hustle.

I just couldn't see paying the close to $27,000 sticker price for that stupid sonic.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^exactly. That car is not worth roughly 30k

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I always thought the cobalt ss/tc would have been a great rwd car

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
It can support it as it has a driveline channel in there to make it RWD. I honestly wanted to try to convert my SS into an AWD monster. THAT would put GM on the map. Make an AWD I4 Turbo car with the LNF (updated version of course) with a slightly bigger turbo, and give it 300hp from the factory. THAT would probably make me get rid of my Evo! (Maybe lol) But still if the SS/TC's did so well and they were FWD, make them AWD and watch them really sing. I think GM would be back on the map again if they did something like that. that would let them compete with the biggest import cars out there in sales (Mitsubishi, Subaru, Lexus, VW). Just my $.02 tho, but what do I know, I'm watching my favorite car company crumble under all the weight of the morons it employs as designers and advisors. They need to stop coming out with things that are identical to each other, stop following ford, and start their own way of doing things, and do them right the first time, and STICK WITH IT. If something isn't broke, don't try to fix it. That's the reason they never should have stopped the cobalt. Especially the SS/TC as it was a record holder. Someone put their head in their butt for asking to stop that..

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It can support it as it has a driveline channel in there to make it RWD. I honestly wanted to try to convert my SS into an AWD monster. THAT would put GM on the map. Make an AWD I4 Turbo car with the LNF (updated version of course) with a slightly bigger turbo, and give it 300hp from the factory. THAT would probably make me get rid of my Evo! (Maybe lol) But still if the SS/TC's did so well and they were FWD, make them AWD and watch them really sing. I think GM would be back on the map again if they did something like that. that would let them compete with the biggest import cars out there in sales (Mitsubishi, Subaru, Lexus, VW). Just my $.02 tho, but what do I know, I'm watching my favorite car company crumble under all the weight of the morons it employs as designers and advisors. They need to stop coming out with things that are identical to each other, stop following ford, and start their own way of doing things, and do them right the first time, and STICK WITH IT. If something isn't broke, don't try to fix it. That's the reason they never should have stopped the cobalt. Especially the SS/TC as it was a record holder. Someone put their head in their butt for asking to stop that..
Yea I think they should still be making it. I like the cruze but its more of a family car. They should have started putting the 6 speed in the cobalts and just keep producing.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Yea I think they should still be making it. I like the cruze but its more of a family car. They should have started putting the 6 speed in the cobalts and just keep producing.

The problem with the 6spds is the same as the evo's. they are great for getting better gas mileage, but they are really weak because of having to add an extra gear into the same housing as the 5spd, so gears were smaller and more fragile. There are ways to convert the SS to a 6spd using a g6 transmission and a saab bell housing tho (If I remember correctly). I'd have to look into that again tho.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
whatever it is it would probably be based off the chassis that the ats coupe will be. unless they do the newest version of the camaro off of that.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The problem with the 6spds is the same as the evo's. they are great for getting better gas mileage, but they are really weak because of having to add an extra gear into the same housing as the 5spd, so gears were smaller and more fragile. There are ways to convert the SS to a 6spd using a g6 transmission and a saab bell housing tho (If I remember correctly). I'd have to look into that again tho.
That's nothing a simple engineering issue couldn't fix. If you could get a 5 speed cobalt(whatever model) and get a 6 speed in and have it work perfectly is love that. Could see 40+ mpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.