Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chrome is peeling off interior door handle, both sides. I want to pull door panels off, remove handles, pull off the chrome piece and removed the chrome and paint it. Question, has anyone pulled the chrome handle out of the assembly? Last time I had the door panel off it seemed like it was all molded together. i don't want to pull the door panels if that chrome piece isn't coming off. its that the case, I'll just order new handles.
Anyone have part number? I found on ebay for $24 each...like to get them cheaper!

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
It might be worthwhile to check out gmpartsdirect.com. I would have checked to see if handles were available for you, but didn't see a model year for your vehicle.

Hope this is helpful,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
985 Posts
Replacement handles are super easy to swap. $110 from the dealer or $5 from a scrap yard.

You can also try to disassemble the handle and peel off all the chrome sticker.

Its a VERY common problem and seeing as how I've been cut a number of times on it (and my wife had too), it should be a recall....or at least free replacement. I had an estimate to replace both of mine and that was going to be about $350. I did both in about 15 minutes and cost me $10.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replacement handles are super easy to swap. $110 from the dealer or $5 from a scrap yard.

You can also try to disassemble the handle and peel off all the chrome sticker.

Its a VERY common problem and seeing as how I've been cut a number of times on it (and my wife had too), it should be a recall....or at least free replacement. I had an estimate to replace both of mine and that was going to be about $350. I did both in about 15 minutes and cost me $10.
You replaced in 15 minutes? Did you pull the door panels off?

·
Registered
985 Posts
yes. its really simple to do. 3 screws then pull. the handle has a clip by the cable and then push it through from the back.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I replaced one of mine after it started peeling. Bought a new handle for under $30. It's a pretty easy swap, but they don't really fit back in quite as nice as before they came out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so i've pulled the door panels before to install speakers and dynomat the doors. I was thinking maybe i could just pull off the chrome handles somehow and paint them rather than replacing the whole piece. No worries, it's $45 and i'll have new ones that are chrome. thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
how do you cut your fingers every time you get out of your car

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
might be saying that because of the peeling that goes on at the interior door handle? idk i've heard of that but its not happening to mine afaik

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
o_O.. mine isn't peeling

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Our newer balts were made right :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
You know you have a Cobalt when you have an oil life counter on the I/P, but you still put one of those mileage stickers on your window anyway because the counter has a habit of resetting itself, often.

No peeling chrome trim for me. Not all those Lordstown boys were working in the dark :)
If you floor it five times and cycle the key it resets the oil counter I think

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.