Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

i drive a 2006 cobalt, LS.
my car does not have power locks, and due to this - i've been locking my keys in the car often.

luckily i've always had someone able to give me a ride home to grab my spare and then come back and get in, but i feel like that luck will run out eventually, and i will be stranded.

i've heard about getting my key copied to an all metal key and then somehow that gets magnetized to the bottom of the car, and ive also heard about boxes you can buy that are magnetic.

has anyone else had luck with this? right now i have a spare key in my wallet, but i feel like that is not the place for it, as it will either ruin my wallet, or somehow that will get stolen?

not sure what to do about the problem, any suggestions?

thankss!!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
the magnet things work pretty damn well. the first week i had my car, i accidentally locked my keys in my car with it running. i was distracted by something, got out of my car, locked my door by habit and shut it. i didn't notice the car was running because it's so quiet compared to my old car. luckily the person i was with had aaa so they got out and unlocked it. i suck at locking my keys. i always do a check before i close my door now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the magnet things work pretty damn well. the first week i had my car, i accidentally locked my keys in my car with it running. i was distracted by something, got out of my car, locked my door by habit and shut it. i didn't notice the car was running because it's so quiet compared to my old car. luckily the person i was with had aaa so they got out and unlocked it. i suck at locking my keys. i always do a check before i close my door now.
were you able to magnet the factory key? or did you have a special key cut, like an all metal key without that black end i have on my key?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
i've never owned a spare key for my balt nor have i owned a magnet thing. BUT i DO know that the magnet things work. there are different sizes. i'm pretty sure that the makers of those magnet holders know that most new cars have that obnoxiously big end on them, so they produce accordingly

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
I have the same issue have locked my keys in my car twice in the last 2 weeks, due to starting the car to warm up right before I leave work. I need to get another spare made and either keep it on the car or in my wallet. Also even tho this is not the right way with just your fingers and a coat hanger (and no it does not scratch the paint) you can literally unlock the balt in 20-30 seconds, it is by far the easiest car I have ever had to break into.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Go to Lowes and get a hide a key at the hardware desk..3$ and you stick it under your car on a flat part.saved me plenty of times already...twice in 1 day

·
Registered
840 Posts
With my last car, I used thick wire to tie the key to something under the car. But that was a POS anyway. My mom always uses that magnet box thingy. I just always use the remote to lock my car, so I don't usually run into an issue.

·
Registered
745 Posts
what you could do thats free. is take a ziptie, and ziptie a key somewhere on your car that you can get to when that happens. that what i did and ive only had to use to my spare key once in the past 2 years, because i made the same mistake when i first got my car

·
Registered
302 Posts
I locked my keys in the car last week, started freaking thinking i would have get my spare key about 10 miles away (no power anyting in my cobalt). Then i remembered i had OnStar but thought "they can't help w/o power locks", but called anyway. After getting my info, presto my manual lock came up!! Thanks Chevrolet and OnStar!!!!

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
I locked my keys in the car last week, started freaking thinking i would have get my spare key about 10 miles away (no power anyting in my cobalt). Then i remembered i had OnStar but thought "they can't help w/o power locks", but called anyway. After getting my info, presto my manual lock came up!! Thanks Chevrolet and OnStar!!!!
Wait, did I read this correctly?

·
Registered
332 Posts
^ was gonna ask the same thing. i have locked my keys in the car and what i did is make a spare key and keep it in my wallet and one for my house. its good because all it does is unlock the door and does not start the car. so if it gets into the wrong hands they can only unlock it. i know it still sucks if they unlock it but its better than driving away with it lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an 06 also have have left my keys in the car while it was running and a few times when its off. I have a hide-a-key box with a regular key in it just to unlock the doors. I have it attached under my front fender and with all the bumps I go over, I have not had it fall off. I agree, get the little hide-a-key magnetic box.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the same issue have locked my keys in my car twice in the last 2 weeks, due to starting the car to warm up right before I leave work. I need to get another spare made and either keep it on the car or in my wallet. Also even tho this is not the right way with just your fingers and a coat hanger (and no it does not scratch the paint) you can literally unlock the balt in 20-30 seconds, it is by far the easiest car I have ever had to break into.
Really? I locked mine in my car about 6 months ago on base, called AAA and they couldnt be there for at least an hour. My dad, who is diabetic, was with me and his insulin was in the car in the summer heat. Luckily a firetruck drove by and I was able to get them to unlock it for me, but it took them at least 5 minutes with the tools they had

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Really? I locked mine in my car about 6 months ago on base, called AAA and they couldnt be there for at least an hour. My dad, who is diabetic, was with me and his insulin was in the car in the summer heat. Luckily a firetruck drove by and I was able to get them to unlock it for me, but it took them at least 5 minutes with the tools they had
The coathanger trick only works if you have power locks. If you have only manual doors, then it isn't as effective.

Basically what you're doing with the coat hanger is trying to toggle the unlock button.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
have never locked my keys in the car. Guess it goes back to the one time I locked my key in my dorm room at college and had to pay $10 for the RA to unlock the door. Now I jingle the keys in front of me before I close the door to make sure I have them.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
What I've noticed helps a ton is to enable the Delayed lock feature (When you hit the button, the car dings, then will lock 3 seconds after shutting the door.

Saved me a few times.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
No it works quite well with manual locks. the coat hanger and a wedge or what I had was a flat head screwdriver wrapped about 20 times with electrical tape so i would not scratch the car. Bend the tip or the coat hanger in a 1/4 u and use a wedge at the top corner of the door nearest to the rear of the car, you only need about an 1/8 of an inch. Slide the hanger in about half way down the pillar between the door and the rear triangular window, the hanger slides right in, use the u to catch the divit below the top round part of the manual pull knob and pull up at a 45* angel. The first time I did it, it took about 2 minutes with wrapping the screw driver. the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time I did it, I knew what I was doing and from wedge to open 20 seconds. I used to run a tow truck when I was young so this helped also. With a wooden wedge and a coat hanger even today you can get into 80% of cars in about a minute or less, manual or power if you do not care about scratching the paint. With a pump bag and a hanger or slim jim, you can get into any car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.