Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the oil in my sisters car and the level is above what it should be.

Will it cause any problems at this level?

Also the reservoir cap for the coolant was off and it sprayed all over the engine bay. Do I just fill the reservoir? I found the cap in the battery tray luckily.

Another thing I food was the dipstick for the atf wasn't twisted securely in place... the atf is at the min level, should be fine right?

Next I'm going to check the air filter.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

How the heck are you supposed to see this!? Poor design.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Somebody just probably bought too much oil and instead of keeping half a liter around they just dumped it in. Did you check the atf when it was hot or cold? And yes just top up the antifreeze to the cold line.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Civic u gotta check the tranny fluid while its running and up to temp. Just top off everything and you should be fine. Nvr herd of someone having a problem because of overfilling the oil in a car.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Civic u gotta check the tranny fluid while its running and up to temp. Just top off everything and you should be fine. Nvr herd of someone having a problem because of overfilling the oil in a car.
Check atf when car is running, and at NOT and level. Fill coolant and let it run for about 20 minutes at an idle with radiator cap off to burp the system. And too much oil can be a bad thing. Too much oil can cause ring blow by and cause a lot of issues. This can happen as little as 1 extra quart. I would drain a little out if I were you.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Overfilling by a bit is not harmfull if you're not racing the car or running at high RPMs for and extended period of time. If it's only an 8th of inch high I wouldn't worry about it but if it is half an inch then I would do as levee suggest and remove a bit.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
VTEC meh... I-VTEC is better lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.