Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many people here clear coat after spray painting?

I ALWAYS prime before painting but I've never clear coated anything. Well.. some shitty winter rims before but they turned to crackle for some screwed up reason I dont know why.

AAAnnnyyyways I'm going to be night shading (yes I'm jumping on the bandwagon :toung:) I want to clear them after (rattlecan)

what brand of clear coat should I use with Nightshades? I was thinking duplicolour? should I 2000gritt wetsand between coats? I just want them to look good, not all flat and shitty :cheesy: I'm not workin tomorrow so I have all day to do this no rush :)

EDIT I didnt clear the Tails but thanks to blue flash and his Idea I 2000Grit Wet sanded them and used some mothers scratch repair on them and they turned out really nice :) I might do my 3rd brake light
... oh and i made a shorty antenna today its in the second pic, looks great, its the little things that count lol :amuse: YES I know my car is filthy, but its too hot right now to wash it

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I used duplicolor on mine, you dont have to sand but I wet sanded mine and buffed them out. But if you do it right they will still come out nice without sanding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Make sure it's UV protectant paint. you're nightshades will look like shit after summers over if you dont.

Sanding with 2000 grit between clear coats isnt necessary. I never sand clear coats and rarely sand in-between color coats unless it looks like the paint isnt adhering well, or it's not smooth. You'd probably being doing more work then you need to for what you're doing. Although it probably wont hurt, it'll just take a while.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
kinda sounds like a good idea just be patient with it, and when you're done, wet sand it with 1500 to get all the orange peel out. then compound and polish it and it should look siiiiick glassy smooth.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Clear and wetsanding steps are not required, but they do make the difference between a okay paint job and a great one.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
yeah I was just wondering that with painting the engine valve cover is there any high temp gloss??
there is, it's in the paint section by the other high temp paints. I used it on my plastic cover, and it's done it's job well so far.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I clear coat everything and I don't use rattle cans unless I have to. spray gun ftw and clear coat ftw. makes things turn out way better and more professional and if you don't want a high gloss you can buy matt clear in a can or you can add a flattening agent to the clear you spray with a gun.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont have a spray gun.. well I do but its an airless one, it was $800 and works amazingly on house applications and patio and deck staining and other projects but I dont think it would work well for clear coating lmao

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well we have a decent sized compressor... but I dont really want to invest in a really good gun for it, wouldnt have nay where to spray either, I'll stick with spray bombs, if you buy the good ones they work really well...

BTW I loved the way the Nightshades sprayed, after using Duplicolour, Krylon and VHT sprays I hate tremclad now, the nozzles piss paint everywhere and they hurt your fingers after a while.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
to be honest though. you can buy a small gun for around $60 and it will do a good job for small things.

And yes I hate cheap spray cans they piss me off lol. oh and I used clear coat and mixed in black paint to tint my lenses.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

also, pics or ban lol

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol yeah I'll post pics once its all done, I nightshaded the side markers today and now they look all flat and ugly, so I'm going to clear them tomorrow and do my 3rd brake light and see if I like it, then I'll post pics :)

I dont have a buffer, so what kind of polish should I use? a random orbital waxer wouldnt work would it?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
woot!

that's what I don't like about that nightshades stuff they turn all dull and crappy. with mixing black paint into clear coat you get a super shiny tinted look all in one step.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
any recommendations for clear? I heard one person say VHT makes a clear for them? I was thinking just some Duplicolour? will certain clear coats make the shades crackle?, that happend to me once lol.

I might invest in a spray gun someday, but for now I like just spraying it with the cans and tossing them lol. btw what kind of black and clear do you use when you mix them?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I really can't recommend a spray can clear for you cuz i don't have experience with them. and yes I have had problems with paints reacting to primers and stuff. The best bet is to stay with all one brand that way you should not have problems.

I used the Omni brand. it's a knock off of PPG i believe. it was just some left over black I had from an old job. like from a 2000 mustang or something lol.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mabey once I get a much bgger project to do I'll look into getting an air sprayer, how would a bumper look if I did it with a $60 sprayer? like shit?:toung:

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
it might lol. well you can get a small gun that will do a good job for $60 but not a big gun. and you don't want to be spraying a whole bumper with a small gun lol, that would suck

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
With rattlecan clears, it isn't a good idea to mix brands. Trying to use a Krylon clear on say a Duplicolor base coat can cause a bad reaction and make the paint turn to hell.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.