Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought by Cobalt back in June and when I got it the headlights were starting get hazy. Not anything too bad but noticeable. I don't think it lowers how much light I'm putting out but it kinda makes the car just look trashy. Is there a cheap and easy way to get them back to being crystal clear? I see those commercials on TV but they seem like gimmicks.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
McGuire's sells some stuff for that, its not a gimmick (there's anyways) its a headlight restoration kit and it removes yellowing and hazing, I've used it and it works.

now if the haze you see is really condensation from a worn headlight seal then thats a whole new can of worms lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
McGuire's sells some stuff for that, its not a gimmick (there's anyways) its a headlight restoration kit and it removes yellowing and hazing, I've used it and it works.

now if the haze you see is really condensation from a worn headlight seal then thats a whole new can of worms lol.
How will I know if it's condensation? It's not really yellowing and the haze isn't evenly spread, it's more along the top. This picture isn't very good as it's a crop of one I already had that was of the whole car. They don't look to bad but they could be clearer.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
ya I cant tell by the pic really... but condensation will sorta look like a beer bottle sweating... but on the inside of the lens, like it'll look wet, like a shower door or something y'know?

haze just sorta makes it look flat and shitty and make your headlights look like old aged ones from an old car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it doesn't look wet. It's just kind of a light haze. Almost looks like a bunch of tiny scratches. Yeah I'll see if I can get a better picture tomorrow since it's dark now. Looks like I can get a headlight restoration kit online? Anyone have experience with a particular brand? I'd prefer one with a drill attachment.

Edit: I have no idea what a beer bottle sweating looks like since I'm young and innocent.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
No it doesn't look wet. It's just kind of a light haze. Almost looks like a bunch of tiny scratches. Yeah I'll see if I can get a better picture tomorrow since it's dark now. Looks like I can get a headlight restoration kit online? Anyone have experience with a particular brand? I'd prefer one with a drill attachment.

Edit: I have no idea what a beer bottle sweating looks like since I'm young and innocent.
LOL^ ah I see, I forgot americans cant drink for a while :nahnah

but anyways
the Mguires kit works well, I've used it, if its haze from UV damage and weather it'll fix it, if its scratches from... I dunno anything a pissed of cat to sand paper (for whatever reason) only some wet sanding and a buffer will fix that.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Like the man says this and a buffing ball or pad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I tried something online that I found involving sandpaper and I started with it and it just totally scratched up my lenses. Did I really screw it up or can I fix those scratches?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you just do a test spot?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was wetsand but I stopped immediately because it was scratching really bad. I may just ask for new black headlights for my birthday.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought a Turtle Wax Headlight Restoration Kit. It uses wetsanding technique and has a sealant with it so hopefully I can repair the damage of what I did.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Good luck, most likely you will need to use a high grit sand paper (up in the thousands) on the entire lense then a really good buffing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In what part of the process would I do that? I saw a video and it has you use a cleaner then buff it, then use different pads (total of 4 or 5), then use another clarifier and a sealer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.