Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it started yesterday, and I figured it was an engine mount based on the noise and the application the noise is being produced, having a buddy listen today I found I was wrong. When I put the car in first gear and start to go the tire clicks, twice, then doesnt do it until I pretty much go in reverse, or sit at a light for a while. He heard the noise and figured it is behind the rotor but is not sure what. Now to narrow it down the clicking only happens when the car is fully down, does not make noise if the tires are off the ground. The clicking also sounds like the wheel of fortune click, if that helps lol.

I do have a way to check it and find out exactly what it is but it will be a while and I was wondering if anyone may know the actual answer or solution to this problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, because it only clicks when I first move forward or first move backward, after I'm already moving the clicking does not come again until I fully stop, kinda hard, wait then go again. Thats kind of why I thought it was an engine mount.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
how low are your RPMs when you stop - it should be 650 to 800 , how ever mine goes to 550 and when it happen the car start to make noise but its normla cuz of the low RPMs but to have 550 RPMs when stop is not normal. I dont know why my car goes to 550 when I stop.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My RPM's are at normal operation. The clicking noise only occurs when I start to go in first gear and reverse. It will only click twice going forward then never again until I go into reverse then it clicks once.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i had the same problem is your car lowered any if so what kinda suspension is on it... my problems was that the the drive axle wasnt properly in alignment of where it needed to be dont know y it happend but that just what my problem was.. i rode like that for 2 years no problems.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
sounds like a cv joint problem to me guys. check the boot on the outer cv joint. if that's in tact, well it's sorta guess work unless you can get it to make the noise on a lift. you sorta need the suspension loaded to get it to do that. please, take this advice with a grain of salt. I could very well be wrong.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually your saying the exact same thing my diagnosing helpers said also. so they said the cv, but it was caught early enough to not be 100% verified until the noise gets louder. But everyone seems to say the axle.

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is happening to me!
my car has been lowered for about a month now, and this noise was happening then it stopped now its back and twice as loud. it sounds like something is grinding as the wheel turns then all the sudden its a hard clicking noise. has anyone figured this out?

·
Registered
156 Posts
i had this same problem on my monte carlo, it turned out to be the cv joint. if i remember correctly it wasnt to expensive to repair though

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
have you had hubs, clutches, anything of the sort where an axle may need to be moved serviced? i screwed myself once by over extending the cv joint and the ball bearings came out of the cage. i eventually got them back in, but the axle was clicky after this. also guys if it's from a lowering thing, it's the INNER cv joint not the OUTER. outer cv joint will mostly fail from abnormal camber(in refrence to the control arm), high mileage or being under lubricated. or like i said, someone not being careful while servicing something around it. according to gm global connect:
Halfshaft, Front Drive - Front - Right - R&R
OPERATION NUMBER: F1500
LABOR TIME: 0.7
To Replace Inner or Outer CV Joint and/or Boot - Each ADD: 0.3
shouldnt cost you more than 250-300 at a shop.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yea. My money is on CV. For months before mine snapped a bearing cage you would hear a clicking noise coming from that corner of the car.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
mhm, once those balls come loose there's no turning back. i've had one explode on the freeway i was like wtf it sounds like marbles bouncing around and my transmission just blew up wtf ahaha

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yup. When it finally went, it was like clickclickclickclickclickBANG! and suddenly there was loud mean noises and no forward movement

·
Registered
156 Posts
fortunately i got mine fixed before i heard the bang, but i had a friend with a subaru that wasnt so lucky

·
Registered
745 Posts
so do you guys suppose i should take it to a shop to have the cv joint fixed and everything re-aligned? when i lowered my car i never got it aligned and i hit 2 huge pot holes the other day on the same side its doing the noise.

i was just gonna go to advanced and get a new cv, but i figured itd be easier to take it to a shop have them put it in and realign it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.