Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’ve replaced the struts, lower control arm, and now sway bar bushings(all recommended by mechanics at reputable establishments). There is still a clicking noise when I am turning left it speeds up as I accelerate going left. Driving straight and turning right no noise at all. What could this be sway end links? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would suspect a bad cv axle. Mileage of when they wear out varies. But I usually have to change them out on most of these cars around 140,000-160,000 miles. If the car is driven rough, a lot earlier.

The axles on my ‘06 Cobalt appear original, and if so, they’ve got nearly 134,000 miles on them. The passenger side does have a little play when I’ve check it but no noises come out of it while turning.

Most of the time when I’ve changed a cv axle because of the clicking noise bothering a customer, it’s usually due to the rubber grease boot being broken open. If the grease has come out of the outer joint, it’ll wear out and make clicking noises while turning. When the inner one wears out, many times they will vibrate at higher speeds. The part is usually fairly cheap for these cars. You’ll need a short pry bar to release the end that has an internal locking clip into the transmission. I usually don’t do this on the ground, instead on a lift. It’s a bit difficult doing it on the ground sometimes. A tip for reinstalling is to spray some oil on the splines and clip on the trans side and also on the side that inserts into the hub. Trying to install dry can be quite a hassle.

·
Say What again!
6,125 Posts
Yup - clicking noise is almost always indicative of a bad CV axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would suspect a bad cv axle. Mileage of when they wear out varies. But I usually have to change them out on most of these cars around 140,000-160,000 miles. If the car is driven rough, a lot earlier.

The axles on my ‘06 Cobalt appear original, and if so, they’ve got nearly 134,000 miles on them. The passenger side does have a little play when I’ve check it but no noises come out of it while turning.

Most of the time when I’ve changed a cv axle because of the clicking noise bothering a customer, it’s usually due to the rubber grease boot being broken open. If the grease has come out of the outer joint, it’ll wear out and make clicking noises while turning. When the inner one wears out, many times they will vibrate at higher speeds. The part is usually fairly cheap for these cars. You’ll need a short pry bar to release the end that has an internal locking clip into the transmission. I usually don’t do this on the ground, instead on a lift. It’s a bit difficult doing it on the ground sometimes. A tip for reinstalling is to spray some oil on the splines and clip on the trans side and also on the side that inserts into the hub. Trying to install dry can be quite a hassle.
Thank you for the advice! I will be doing this on the ground but what oil spray would you recommend just WD-40 or something more specific?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah WD-40 will work. Usually to confirm that the cv axle is making noise I’ll have someone drive the car at low speeds while turning and listen for where the sound is coming from. Almost always when there’s a continual click while turning from the front end on a front wheel drive car, it’s a bad cv joint in the axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ok so I’ve replaced the struts, lower control arm, and now sway bar bushings(all recommended by mechanics at reputable establishments). There is still a clicking noise when I am turning left it speeds up as I accelerate going left. Driving straight and turning right no noise at all. What could this be sway end links? Any advice would be appreciated.
Ok the CV axle has been replaced and it is still making that clicking sound what’s next?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well it’s hard to say but perhaps it’s the opposite side cv axle making the noise. Not many things under the car that’ll make a clicking sound only while turning and speed up with acceleration. Not very often, but sometimes, wheel bearing make noise only while turning.

I wouldn’t recommend to keep throwing parts at the car though. The common sounds these cars make up front are just a few. Bad control arm bushings usually only creak when they start going bad. And often end up causing vibration at driving speed when they are really in bad shape. May also thump. But not click. Strut mounts make a pinging or creaking sound while turning when the bearing goes bad, but doesn’t speed up or slow down really. Often wheel bearings make a roaring sound that gets louder as the car is driven faster. Sometimes will only make noise while banking into a curve or turn at higher speeds. Rack and pinion may make clunking or crunching sounds when they are worn out.

I have run into brake pads that make a quiet clicking sound when turning, usually only at lower speeds. Often times will come and go. May be caused by sticking shims or sliders.

Is there any more of a description that you can give as to what is happening?

·
Say What again!
6,125 Posts
I would definitely check the other axle. Is your car a manual or an auto?

If the latter, you could simply just swap the axle you just took off, and know not to be an issue, with the other side that wasn't changed yet - they're the same part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this problem and they put a "steering wheel knuckle" they called it here , and it worked perfect no clicking just had to put wd 40 all around the part and seemed to stop the "squeak" after it was put in .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts