Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my car is making a clicking sound every time i press the gas. its not at a continuous click, it lasts less then a second, this only happens for about 30 seconds. Sometimes when I start the car it makes the same sound but loud. I had the car for less then a year. Anyone knows what the problem is?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i just got back fromthe dealership and they said nuthings wrong with it :S. find it hard to believe because its making that sound. im gona check out the timing belt tomorrow

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol its true, but they called my back and said to bring the car in tomorrow affternoon and there gona keep it over night so they can start it in the moirning and hear it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
yeah it happens on a cold start when the oil is cold. there's a hydraulic actuator that acts differently depending on your oil pressure. it's not a big deal, could cost you money way later though. just change your oil on time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok well m,y dad took the car to the dealership because i fell asleep on the sofa:p when i go pick it up tomorrow and they still say nuthings wrong with it im gona mention the timming belt and the exhaust header gasket. i dont understand how the exhaust interfears with the motor

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i got the car back from the dealership and they said nuthings wrong with it. they had the car there all night and they didnt hear or find jack?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
probably because they know it's a common issue and don't want to get you worried and start whipping out your wallet. it's really not a big deal. the exhaust gasket expands as it gets hot, if the header is loose it will let exhaust gases blow by. when the gasket expands it seals again making the sound go away. the timing chain will only click on cold oil. when the oil is at operating temperature the sound will go away because the timing chain is being held properly against it's guides and gears. but like i said its really not that big of an issue. the only way they can find out if its the chain (not belt) is if they check it for tension, and that's a pretty intense project.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
haha nah man. i can't tell you for sure cause i can't hear the actual sound over the computer, but i've been dealing with issues like this on cobalts and most other gm cars with timing chains. i'm very familiar with it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats true but its not like a constant clicking sound. if i tap it and get it to 3000rpm u hear it, if i go slowly im fine. and it was also at the dealership over night and nuthing

·
Registered
21 Posts
i was smoking a butt last night and also realized it could be your exhaust header gasket. they tend to loosen up since they're very lightly tightened to begin with.
who is that in your avatar sig? can't figure it out. does boxxy mean anything to you ffdrift?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.