Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Cobalt Coupe 5 Speed with 74k miles.

When I drive over a fairly rough surface or bumps I hear a pretty solid "clunk" coming from the front end, it's most noticeable on the front left.

Any ideas what this might be?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not the ratchet sound you get when turning that indicates bad CV joints.

The rebound seems fine (not bouncing and wallowing, pushing down on the fender it returns and settles immediately), seems like the struts are doing their job.

Only happens when you hit a bump, on the initial hit you hear a pretty solid "clunk".

I'll check on the lower A Arm bushings!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
i have this on mine. im lowered on SSCs and konis. Had it in my sedan swaped it over to the SS and still have it. lol drives me nuts. handles like a dream tho.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Start with the simple and cheap stuff first. If I had to guess I would say you need new sway bar bushings. They are cheap and take about a hour to do in your own driveway at a liesurely pace. The bushing doesn't wear around the bar itself but wihtin the bracket and that makes a pretty good clunking sound.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Control Arm Bushing, Lower, Rear

My guess is the rear bushing at the back side of your control arm has come loose. When this happens the control arm can slam up and down against the frame.
Take the weight off the wheel and, with a pry bar, see if you can move the control arm up and down so it hits the frame.
Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I checked mine. Yup its toast. I hope the warranty covers it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.