Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been brought up before in another thread, but couldn't really find it(although I didn't look very hard). There's a clunking noise coming from what sounds like the right side in the front of my car. I googled it and it seems others have the problem too, is there an easy way to get the car to stop clunking?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Going over small or large bumps? could be control arm bushings... I've had both my fronts done. It'll be under warranty.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
if you bought it from the dealer it could have a dealer warranty.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Could just be that the shocks and struts are bad. I had 2 sets put on my car before the warranty ran out because the would start leaking and eventually start knocking. If you are still under warranty take it to the dealer and have them replace them. Just know that the replacements will probably go out early as well.

·
Banned
164 Posts
my car does the same thing. did it since i started driving it this year, started out just when i went over bumps...then i put the eibachs on in like mid April, and now it's doing it more frequently
...and since i put springs on, i'm pretty sure it's not covered under warranty

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine's doing it too. A good clunk on the right side when I hit mild bumps. Took off the strut to inspect it and didn't find and abnormal leaks.

What could be it? something about a steering shaft? Could you explain, please?

·
Registered
446 Posts
most likely the intermediate steering shaft. seems like most cobalts end up with problems there. take it to the dealer if still under warranty.
Actually, I was gonna post a thread on this because I was having the same problem. But when I looked at the intermediate steering shaft like you said I noticed that one of the screws looked like it was tilted or not in all the way. Could this be the root of the problem causing the "clunking" or "thumping" noise or am I just seeing things?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mine's doing it too. A good clunk on the right side when I hit mild bumps. Took off the strut to inspect it and didn't find and abnormal leaks.

What could be it? something about a steering shaft? Could you explain, please?
I did the same thing after installing the koni struts and shocks. Made sure everything was properly torqued, but the problem still persisted afterwards.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It could be the control arm bushing.
How often are you supposed to replace bushings on our cars or is it different for every bushing on our cars?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If it's a good hard clunk on the pass. side that you could feel it in the floor only over sharp bumps(Poor alleys, speed bumps, etc), it should be the bushing? How much for a garage to replace this?(not under warrenty anymore)

I heard from another owner who has 120,000 miles on his that he had to replace the rack & pinion more than once because they are garbage. Described it as driving a lumber truck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds like this is starting to become a problem for people with a 2005 model. I'm starting to see more threads about this particular issue now.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I heard from another owner who has 120,000 miles on his that he had to replace the rack & pinion more than once because they are garbage. Described it as driving a lumber truck.
I just got word from the dealer saying that it's not the steering shaft, but the rack and pinion located next to the gearbox! They said it would cost about $375 for the part, and $365 for labor. Does anyone know what kind of shop I should take this too, as I don't want to pay $740, or will I have to bite the bullet on this one?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.