Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been doing it for a while now and it seems to be getting worse, I've heard it could be the CV or it could be the axles, would bearings cause this? I'll try and get a video of the sound but it's random so could take a few days.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
it could be a bearing, bushing, or ball joint. A good way to see if its your bearing is to jack up the car or wheel that you suspect is the problem and grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 position and wiggle it and see if theirs play/movement, if so that's how you know if a bearing is out. Or it could be your control arm bushings, are cars are known for that. Mine clunked all the time till I got all new front suspension from my accident.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
probably a control arm bushing. i've never been able to find play in a bad hub on these cars, you really need to pull the brakes apart and spin the hub by itself. if it makes a scraping noise its no good. its like checking drum brakes. spins for a second and comes to a smooth stop. no noise, no extra or too little momentum. it could also be a sway bar end link, but since you say its progressively worsening i think its the control arm bushing.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i think its a control arm bushing. could be a combination of that and a steering intermediate shaft. could also be an axle causing the vibrations. hard to say, you really gotta put the car in the air and take a looksie. i wish people wrote down complaints like this when they come in for service! i find a lot of bad CAB's and shafts etc. and people don't even mention it! you'd think the service writer would type in "fix the front end it's freakin' dangerous" but people don't even mention shaking or rattling to them!

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Control arm bushing sounds like a big possibility to me too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.