Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking the Balt in this morning to get the steering recall done and to get it checked for a strange clunk noise. The clunk happens from almost every stop sign when I hit the gas to pull out. Just regular starts, not jack rabbit starts or anything. I usually notice it when pulling out in a straight direction. It sounds like it is coming from under the floor boards and I can feel it in the pedal. Any ideas on the cause?

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
None that I can see, but I will mention that to the tech...

ETA: Just dropped off...they said 9 outta 10 times that noise is caused by control arm bushings. So we shall see!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
LCA bushing might make sense - or maybe your swaybar endlinks snapped, which will cause the swaybar to rock around.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
control arm bushings will do this. axles will click, not clunk. and very rarely does an inner cv joint fail unless youre as low as me, or are making way too much power for them. the only thing to worry about with axles normally is your outer cv joints. they will click when turning and accelerating. another possibility is transmission mounts, but most likely as i said control arm bushings. it's very common on these cars. sway bar end links will only cause a clunk when going over bumps. trust me, i am very familiar with the suspension on these cars considering i've broken and rebuilt just about everything.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have bad sway bar ends then also. I hear some bobbling when going over rough roads (gravel)

This is all surprising since the car just turned 10,000 miles old! It's a 2007 model year.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
if it's not the end links, control arm bushings may also do this. first thing you should do is make sure the top nuts on your struts are tight, and if you've ever removed them, be sure to use new lock nuts. if you don't have access to new ones, load them up with loc-tite red.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the tech said that the suspension was tight. They did find the steering column loose so they replaced it under warranty. Also did the recall. So hopefully it is 100%! Going to pick it up soon!

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the new column took care of the bobbling and clunk sound! But it is back at the dealer today so they can align the steering wheel! Somehow, they managed to make the wheel a bit off center. I just can't handle that so it will keep going back until it is right! LOL

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
You should see mine dude, it's like 20 degrees off. It drives straight and doesn't pull, the wheel's just off...a lot, haha. That's from pulling the steering rack spacers out and not ****ing with the alignment.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should see mine dude, it's like 20 degrees off. It drives straight and doesn't pull, the wheel's just off...a lot, haha. That's from pulling the steering rack spacers out and not ****ing with the alignment.
Haha, I can't stand an off center wheel! The wheel in the 71 Mustang is off about 25 deg and it drives me nuts!

forgot about the intermediate shaft. that should only make noise from bump steer. that tech probably looked up tsb's and slapped parts in the car. but hey, if it fixes the problem
Yeah, they can put all the new parts on they want as long as warranty keeps paying! LOL

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yeah, mine was off when I got it by like 5-10 degrees, but got worse after we pulled the spacers out. When we did the alignment we set it to be straight, and somehow it ended up the same as before!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
that happens to me all the time. gotta have someone in the car holding the wheel that's the only way to guarantee. i hate doing an alignment and having to set everything back up when i drive it and there's no pull but i realize the wheel is crooked. it SUCKS!

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
that happens to me all the time. gotta have someone in the car holding the wheel that's the only way to guarantee. i hate doing an alignment and having to set everything back up when i drive it and there's no pull but i realize the wheel is crooked. it SUCKS!
He has a thing that holds the wheel straight, but I think I mighta moved it or something. :notrust:

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it's off a gnat's ass to the other side now but much better. They said to get it any closer would require a full alignment and I would have to pay for that! (I might have to get a second opinion on that but it is pretty good for now!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.