Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clunker Math

Think of it this way: A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at
15 mpg uses 800 gallons of gas a year. A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480 gallons a year. So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.
The government claims 700,000 vehicles were sold, so that's 224 million gallons saved per year.
That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.
5 million barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.
More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel costs about $350 million dollars.
So, the government paid 3 billion of our tax dollars to save $350 million.
We spent $8.57 for every dollar we saved, but
it did remove about 90% of the obama for pres. bumper stickers.
I'm pretty sure they will do a better job with our health care, though.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
cash for clunkers ended a while back though, so no more clunkers are off the road.. it stays the same. so even though those few are gone, there are still thousands more for every one that was scrapped. its not gonna help. it never did, and it was just a stupid idea..im not saying anything about obama, knowing there are alot of people on here that like him, but yeah... cash for clunkers = fail...

·
Registered
252 Posts
It was intended to stimulate the economy while improving fuel economy of the US fleet of autos. Since it did both it was a success.

And if the investment pays itself off in ten years, that's what would be called wildly successful. Any private enterprise would find those terms favourable.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
No, a private enterprise would not call that successful. 90% of companies will not spend any money on new initiatives unless they pay for themselves in 3 years and save at VERY least 10% over baseline after 3 years.

Yeah, it may pay for its self in 10 years, assuming the removed clunkers would have still been on the road in 10 years. Something we may never know.

·
Registered
373 Posts
cash for clunkers ended a while back though, so no more clunkers are off the road.. it stays the same. so even though those few are gone, there are still thousands more for every one that was scrapped. its not gonna help. it never did, and it was just a stupid idea..im not saying anything about obama, knowing there are alot of people on here that like him, but yeah... cash for clunkers = fail...
wrong. in the OP's comparison, he was talking about the consumption of fuel/year. That consumption of fuel stays consistent each year which translates to savings of dollars every year due to BETTER fuel efficient cars instead of "gas guzzlers." Doesn't matter that the program only happened one year.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I don't think the "cash for clunker" program did the U.S. as a whole much good but I do know that I paid $8,500 for my brand new cobalt so that is win for me.

that is all.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
I wish the C4C program would've been limited to purchasing American vehicles, though...that, in my opinion, would've been the best idea.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Nope.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
One issue that i have with the cash for clunkers program is the fact that we lost so many classic and usable vehicles. I know one of the so called purposes of this program was to get the older non fuel efficient vehicles off the road, I also know that most of the vehicles turned in were probably junk but not all of them. One a vehicle was used for the program it automatically became a socalled totaled or salvage vehicle with no chance of obtaining a reconstructed title, also the engines were locked up. At one time at North Star Chevrolet I saw a K5 Blazer, an mid 80's camaro, a mid 80's short bed 2wd chevy (which was clean as hell, do you know how hard it is to find a clean shor tbed in the Northeast? Allmost impossible.) Plus allot of other nice vehicles. I think it is a shame.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
My friend's '95 Z28 got turned in...for a Honda Civic.

Yeah, the vehicle had a lot of mileage, and the rear end was leaking - but it still was a very nice car! It was really cool because it was Canadian, so all the gauges were in KM and such.

I also saw reports of a GMC Typhoon or Cyclone being turned in!!! WTF!

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
I know. And so obscenely awesome.

·
Registered
931 Posts
the dealer i worked for at the time... we ended up with like 4 z28's 2 of them were lt1... ! two 5.0 mustangs (one four eye one 2 eye)... some old school jag from like the late 70's... amd then a bunch of exploders/blazers/vans and crap

i wanted to save the camaros soo bad... cool part was we where alowed to take radios and little things off them... so i still have a bunch of headunits i took

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I took stuff off of my blazer and I stole a front bumper off of a full size chevy lol. It was the smooth chrome bumper that is hard to find. It's getting sectioned down to go on my project blazer.

The blazer I traded in was missing the blower motor, washer bottle and pump, wiper motor, aftermarket visor, jack, hood, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting and I took the good tires off and put junk ones on lol. The junk yard people were not happy about it missing all those parts but the rules stated that the vehicle must be in "drivable condition" and that is how I was driving it for a couple weeks. bahahaahahahaa

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.