Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a clunkingish vibration that I can feel while gripping the steering wheel and with foot on brake pedal while driving. It can be felt even with a "smooth" road. I can somewhat recreate it when the car is stationary and and I jerk the steering wheel back and forth. So I do believe whatever it is is coming from front drivers side. The shocks and struts are new with 18'000 miles on them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Check the bolts on the struts. Typically the end link comes loose from the sway bar, but could be other things too.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Might be intermediate shaft U-joint starting to go.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I crawled underneath, tried to wiggle things, and take photos. All photos are numbered so please identify the photo number and what the part is when replying. I did use a floor jack to jack up the control arm to relieve extension and tension on some suspension parts.

The ONLY thing I could get to wiggle a little bit was the part identified in photo #1.

I also couldn't get a great photo of the control arm bushing. Didn't think it would be that hard to get to!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Grease nipples on swaybar endlinks is for grease gun. Yours haven't seen one in a long time.

Now if you look at your last picture you will see a big gap between your swaybar and the bushing. Now that is a clunk-clunk if I ever saw one.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

But these won't make noise at a stop. So you might have 2 problems. Axle movement is normal by the way.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm so I'm thinking maybe it's that gap you mentioned and maybe my control arm bushing is bad. I couldn't get a good look at it but everything else seemed fine. For the sway bar gap, what do you suggest is the cause and fix?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
New swaybar saddle bushings. I did mine, it takes 30 minutes.

Your control ARM bushings look ok in the picture.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What tools are needed?

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

I've never done suspension and steering work myself so I'd really appreciate it if someone knew of a Tutoroial for sway bar saddle bushings.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If one is wore out so is the other. I believe they come in pairs anyways when you buy them.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

It's not the easiest place to work but it's doable. Well I did it so you can too.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Look at this guy on ebay, he uses my picture out of the forum to sell his parts.

GM 20902786 Front Stabilizer BAR BAR Bushings Pair 2 | eBay

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

This should be the same number for yours, but always cross reference with VIN.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
if the sway bar endlink clunks when you move it, then its that also. it will move some, but if you can feel any not solid movement like it is loose at all, then change it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Although the new bushings did give a more sturdy ride along with greasing the stabilizer links the sound and vibration is still there. I noticed when applying the grease gun to the stabilizer link nipple the stabilizer link pivots. Is that normal? The brand of stabilizer link says Moog so I'm assuming they've been replaced before. What should be the next step for the vibration?

Pivoting motion picture.

Old bushing

old bushing side view

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe what you hear and feel is the beginning of a wheel bearing going bad.

The end-links should pivot but not be loose. Like I said before, your end-link looked like they were neglected. Graese nipples means it needs grease.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.