Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I don't think it would be a wheel bearing because I don't hear any sounds from rotation. Going over slight bumps I hear a mild clanking that can be felt in the pedals. I;m wondering if its the tie rod.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
But you said you felt vibration, vibration is usually caused by wheels in motion. Maybe you meant rattling, I'm just going by what you wrote.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm sorry I felt a rattles vibration. I just noticed my wheel wells splash guard was missing a body pin so I will see if that helps. If it doesn't I'm at a loss. Everything is secure. That shady from the cv joint had play but so does the other side so I hope it's just that missing body pin

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Make sure there's no broken springs

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
no broken springs. the splash guard wasnt the issue either. I think its definitely something from steering. When I jerk the steering wheel you can feel and hear a noise.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Im now thinking it is the intermediate shaft. When jerking the steering wheel and holding the metal rod that goes into the floor under the steering wheel I can feel the rattle. Is this a simple fix? If so, is there a How to?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Installing it requires removing two bolts and then putting them back in. Might have to remove drivers tire, I did. Took me 1 hour from start to finish. I know the part was like $150 from the dealer. The rattle is probably the u joint part worn out.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yup, its all one unit. The joint on the outside of the car is the one that goes

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Can't tell by looking at a picture, you kinda have to pry it to see if there is movement in the joint.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
U joint....

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Mine was seized up so bad I could barely move it

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Where should I stick the pry bar?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Well I ruled out the ball joint. No movement.

This is the bottom of my control arm bushing.

This is the top of my control arm bushing.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Bushing looks fine. Best bet is to knock the u joint off the shaft and see if it's loose

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.