Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just replaced my steering rack a few weeks ago and I have a clunking sound and a little play in the steering wheel. I can see the pinion shaft moving when i move the steering wheel in the area of play so I am fairly certain it has to do something with my new rack. is this kind of issue normal?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The intermediate shaft is known to get “crunchy”. When you replaced the rack, did you check the
u-joint at the end of the shaft before you decoupled it to the new rack?

another thing it that area that gives a clunking/popping sound are the $10/set sway bar bushings.
You didn’t say anything about your car such as year, mileage, option or past history so all is just guessing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The intermediate shaft is known to get “crunchy”. When you replaced the rack, did you check the
u-joint at the end of the shaft before you decoupled it to the new rack?

another thing it that area that gives a clunking/popping sound are the $10/set sway bar bushings.
You didn’t say anything about your car such as year, mileage, option or past history so all is just guessing.
car is 2009 chevy cobalt SS with 94K miles the intermediate shaft and tie rods are all brand new.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
And the sway bar bushings? That are about $10 New. Also check the sway bar end links.

and NO it is NOT normal to have playin the rack. You might have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look for the part that’s giving the slop.
did you replace both the tie rods AND end links when you replaced the rack?

it might be time to check with the parts supplier or rebuilder

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not yet been able to look at the bushings or links yet but the rack, tie rods, and intermediate shaft were all replaced within 2 months of each other. I will look into getting a hold of the supplier tomorrow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's also possible to get a clunking in the steering column itself, If I recall it's in the area of the electric power assist, up near where your knees are, plastic gears or something, not worth fixing, with car off turn steering wheel back and forth, should be able to know if it's that or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts