Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theirs this groansing/clunking noise that has appeared recently when i turn corners, seems to come from left side. Also when i turn the wheel side to side when im stoped, their is a rattle/ clunking each way i turn the wheel. the wheel goes about 1-2cm turn before i acually feel resistance, and at times it can clunk and groan as i turn the wheel at a stop and be very difficult to turn. I suspected the CV joint, so i but the car up on stands and took a loot but it seems to be fine, the boot is intact and not damaged at all, everything physically looks fine.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Well you have a 2008.. Meaning you still have warranty right? Take it to the dealer and tell us what it is.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hate going to the dealer every time i take it their they just leave it sitting in the parking lot for 2 hrs with i wait, look at it ,then tell me the problem is the first screw they see is loose and send me on my way. Then it dose the same thing on the way home and I end up having to fix it myself. but i guess ill give them a shot lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sounds like your wheel bearing ..as you turn you are putting a load on that side and thats what the noise you are hearing is...probably a couple of $100 to change...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got it checked out, so apperntly my power assist wasen't working all the right either took them a long time to figure it out. they originally thought it was the same things that I thought/ you guys thought it was. So i left it with the the whole day.

turned out it was the steering rack, their was about and inch and a bit of play in it and some weird stuff happened when i turn the wheel it also was the cause of all my other problems, with power assist cause the power steering motor couldent overcome the force needed and thats why i kept getting the no power steering feeling while turning while stopped. made the noises too and also oddly enough was the cause of the vibration from my brakes which i thought was the roter ( still is but much less vibrating now all the time, only when driven hard like before) So they replace the steering rack and it fixed everything all covered under warranty and all costs covered by GM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is it outside of the car or in more in the interior-if inside-the electronic steering assist could be the problem if it has gears-I take it to the dealer-for everything-be a squeeky wheel so they will oil you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.