Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I have a 2006 SS supercharged, that has been going strong for a long time. Over the past month I noticed a lag when I first accelerate, then it would catch. While on my way to work the other day I was going about 60 mph, and I was in 5th gear. My car started decelerating, Slowly forcing me to downshift into 4th, 3rd, then 2nd, on the highway, eventually going 15mph in first with high rpms just to drive to a safe area. Now when I had my car toed to my driveway I tried it again, thinking maybe it was the fuel injecters. I put my car into first gear and had to accelerate to 6000rpms just to pull into my garage under 5 Mph. Now I am curious if this is a clutch issue, or tranny issue, or a rev meter problem. Either way it seems that my car can shift into gears fine, Just that it feels like the clutch is pushed in when I try to accelerate.

I know people are going to tell me to have a mechanic look at it, believe me I will. I just want a general consensus to what people think, before I pay a tow truck to bring it into the shop.:notrust:

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sounds like your pressure plate let go. Might as well get a clutch at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Don't forget to replace throw out bearing while your at it.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Looks like your plan is to take it in somewhere; if it happens to be to a GM dealership, be sure to keep me in the loop on the progress of the repair so I can be of any assistance I can be.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just had the same problem this last tues! I have an 06 LS Balt and also had it towed to the nearest mechanic and I just found out today that they can get a clutch kit for my car for $580 and then $1000 in labor! They estimated $1643 just to get the clutch repaired! I was so sad.

So, it looks like if you were to get that fixed you will need to purchase a clutch kit because that is what cobalts need.

I wish the best for you and I hope you get it fixed!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
$1600 is way too much. Same job here is about $1000 including clutch kit

Sent from my HTC Desire using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've been told stock clutch is good for high 13's...is that wrong?
Sent from my HTC Desire using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yeah, but its weak and you could miss shift a lot. Stage 3 coming my way, but if you are staying dd max stage 2. And its ky for me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.