Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I believe that my 2007 cobalt ls with 109,xxx miles needs a clutch,
its starting to slip in 3rd gear and 4th when I punch it from low rpms to high it slips,
I have called around and gotten quotes from 800 to 1500 dollars to replace my clutch.
Are these reasonable prices and is there even a good tutorial for replacing the clutch?
I have searched and found nothing, looks like guys are just taking it to garages to get fixed?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
That's reasonable for a clutch replacement. I know I replace my own clutches, but they are not easy nor quick to replace. My evo takes 9 hours to replace a clutch on it, and that is book time. I know the cobalts are only FWD, but they are still not easy. If you're up to the task, feel free to make a DIY how-to. :) I know a few members on here have done clutches themselves. Bankerbalt, blackbalts, and derikhollister have done clutches themselves if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There are some how-to's on cobalt ss dot net, but I'm not sure if there is one for your specific model...
I got lucky with a small local performance shop that only charged 250 labor to do mine. Great find and they have since built my engine, installed my ZFR and will soon replace my tranny as well :)
Just take some time finding a small local reliable shop. Dealerships and big chains will rape you on an install like this...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I swapped my own clutch. My uncle has a hydraulic lift in his garage which helped TONS! I got a quote from the Chevy dealership here and they wanted like $1700 to do it, I got my clutch from Bumper to Bumper for $400 and did the labor myself. It's a real pain in the ass, but if you know your way around cars or know somebody that does, it's well worth the money saved!

·
Registered
5 Posts
tackling a TTR clutch this weekend

good stuff. Did you encounter anything in the adjustment phase that was to look out for?:wondering::wondering::wondering:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ok so I believe that my 2007 cobalt ls with 109,xxx miles needs a clutch,
its starting to slip in 3rd gear and 4th when I punch it from low rpms to high it slips,
I have called around and gotten quotes from 800 to 1500 dollars to replace my clutch.
Are these reasonable prices and is there even a good tutorial for replacing the clutch? I have searched and found nothing, looks like guys are just taking it to garages to get fixed?
If you have to ask...you're not ready (sorry). Transmission maint. isn't a simple bolt on/off procedure and you'll probably be out-of-service a good 2-weeks trying to figure it out. Also, investing in the right tools, parts, knowledge and your time could run up to the same price as getting yours fixed. Not knowing your mech background here, but maybe continue shopping repair shops, discuss their pricing/process and pick one someone you know recommends. In the case of vehicle repair, word of mouth travels so networking will help locate a good shop.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I agree with iceman, I would not suggest it to a backyard mechanic style of doing it. You will need to put the car on a lift to drain the fluid, remove the bellhousing, remove pilot bearing, and so forth, plus you have to get clutch to bearing clearance and adjust it for 1.5-2" of clutch play (pedal free play).

I would suggest a stage 1 clutch or now at days stage 2 which will grip a bit better than OEM. It would also help if you ever plan on modding it slightly. Plus the performance clutches mentioned maybe cheaper than an OEM. You also have to measure the flywheel run out to see if you can either replace it or resurface. In most cases, a new flywheel would be wiser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.