Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cobalt stawls while running like if I am out of gas. I changed the filter but the problem is still there. Is there a strainer and how can I check if it is deffective. Is it difficult to replace
I also changed a faulty temp.sensor

Thanks

· Registered
2008 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2l Coupe Automatic
14 Posts
When does it stall? Is there any signs of coolant in the oil or vice versa? Please explain in more detail, times when it stalls, any noises that have changed since this began? How many miles are on it? Do you ever smell gas or burning oil, or other strange smells in the cabin? Does it stall on acceleration? If you run it for a while, does any part of your exhaust turn red? What temperature does it run at?
There are any number of things that this could be, from a standard maintenance part to a computer malfunction to a failing engine or transmission.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car has 220000 km. No noise . No oil in coolant. No smell. The first time it did this we replace the gas filter I came back home no problem next morning 1 km from home at 80 km/h it dropped to 10 km/h I tried to accelerate not possible It was going 10km/h to 5 km/h up an down like this to a point where it will stawl. Back to the garage where we changed the temperature sensor that we tought was flooding the motor there was a misfire on all piston we fixed that, car was running ok. Back home. Next morning run 10 km perfect coming back again pout pout pout up and down 10/5 km/h for 6 km. If I stop wait a little and start the motor it will run ok for 200 feet then then stuttle again.. That is why I dont think the transmission is the problem nor the motor itself (gasket).
My question is: Is there a strainer and how can I check if it is clogged.
If there is no strainer the next culprit will be the computer unless you guys point to another reason
thanks

· Registered
2008 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2l Coupe Automatic
14 Posts
My car has 220000 km. No noise . No oil in coolant. No smell. The first time it did this we replace the gas filter I came back home no problem next morning 1 km from home at 80 km/h it dropped to 10 km/h I tried to accelerate not possible It was going 10km/h to 5 km/h up an down like this to a point where it will stawl. Back to the garage where we changed the temperature sensor that we tought was flooding the motor there was a misfire on all piston we fixed that, car was running ok. Back home. Next morning run 10 km perfect coming back again pout pout pout up and down 10/5 km/h for 6 km. If I stop wait a little and start the motor it will run ok for 200 feet then then stuttle again.. That is why I dont think the transmission is the problem nor the motor itself (gasket).
My question is: Is there a strainer and how can I check if it is clogged.
If there is no strainer the next culprit will be the computer unless you guys point to another reason
thanks
It could potentially be the fuel pump, but given the misfire if it is still going on again, it could be compression issues, but given the miles, I dont think there should be anything wrong with major parts. Probally not transmission, that is already QUITE unlikely, but under VERY specific circumstances it can, doesnt sound like thats the issue here. Have you changed the spark plugs? Does it give any codes or alerts WHILE it is doing this? In my experience, cobalts are really good about codes.The ECM might be being weird, and while you would likely see some extra codes, or some other ghosts in the machine, the ECM can do weird things when it has issues.

My most likely guesses are somewhere in the fuel system. Any loss of compression would likely be some weird thing, but it doesnt hurt to test compression. If there are no codes, this is hard to pinpoint. It should flip a code for the throttle body air system. I am guessing fuel system. If the fuel filter was clogged. You cant really test for clogs in the fuel system, but a decent way may be adding fuel injector cleaner, which may temporarily make the issue better if it is a clog in the fuel system. How often do you let it run out of gas, or have it warn you? You may also have a lot of water or crud in the tank itself too, that keeps clogging things.

It is hard to pinpoint, just replace common suspects where you can that is cheap enough, and may be the culprit. it *could * be the vacuum system.too, but you would probally hear air. It doesnt hurt to do that.

Check these codes here: The Official DTC (CEL) List! The codes are not what you look at really, just the list of sensors and whatnot. It likely ISNT any of them.

Honestly, at this point I'd have a experienced and properly educated, highly rated mechanic inspect it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts