Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for excepting me into the forum. I have an 09 cobalt and a 2010 . And plan on doing some performance upgrades to the 09 starting with front struts .thinking KYB anyone used these.? Also looked at some cheaper raceland coil overs around $300 not sure about them either ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
KYB makes excellent shocks and struts. You probably won’t be disappointed if you use them. But if you’re going to go with some lowering springs, use the AC Delco FE5 shocks and struts. They apparently work much better with lowering springs.

The aftermarket coil over type assemblies are probably fine but you may find they ride fairly harsh. Especially for daily driving. Unless this is something you like. I don’t care for that kind of suspension set up myself. I would rather use a conventional lowering spring. But coil overs do give you the ability to raise or lower the car when you want for a different look.

I plan on using the Eibach lowering springs paired with the FE5 shocks and struts. Not really sure when I’ll get around to doing this. But I also will be going with the FE5 front control arms that are aluminum. These come from the supercharged SS model. They will work with the FE1 steering knuckle as the ball joint ball stud size is the same diameter. The turbo SS model apparently uses a different size that doesn’t work with the FE1 knuckle.

Also will require using the shorter sway bar links. I’ve been looking into the rack and pinion from the SS as well. For some reason they are cheaper, but there doesn’t seem to be any fitment differences and the gear ratio is the same. I happen to need a new rack and pinion since mine is getting clunky. Doesn’t seem loose side to side, but has up and down play at the ends that the inner tie rods attach to. It’s fairly minute movement, but makes for a clunky sounding steering. I was hoping it was just the intermediate shaft, but it’s still tight.

My car is an ‘06 LT sedan. I really just want it lower by about 2 inches to close the fender gap, especially in the rear. Sits way too high to look sporty. Along with lowering I want to put some larger wheels, probably something 16 or 17 inch. Not wanting to loose too much ride comfort going much bigger since it’ll lose more sidewall height.

I suppose you’re kind of luck to have a later model too. Then 05-06 model with the 2.2 engines use a computer that apparently nobody will tune. The ones after these years are tunable. I think it’s just that it’s harder to code and nobody wants to do it. But have read of a few people getting it done in the past. The companies that used to do it no longer offer the tuning service for my 16 bit PCM. Yours will have a 32 bit PCM. So if you decide to do mods to the engine, you’ll be able to take full advantage of being able to tune the PCM to accommodate the performance parts, such as a header or larger diameter exhaust, larger injectors, or even turbo or supercharger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts