Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty new to this forum but from what I have read, you guys help out a lot. This has been going for a while now and I have just been dealing with it. But I need to figure out what the heck is going on and get it fixed.

I have an '06 Cobalt 2.2L Coupe with the "Sports Pkg" since December 2005. The problem: sometimes when I speed up and then hit the brakes or hit a speed bump, my car will die. Or while I am turning right or left it will die. I idles pretty badly sometimes, while other times it acts fine. It just dies randomly. My step-dad (who is a mechanic on large equipment) thinks that I need a tune up. But doesn't that entail spark plug replacement?

Anyway, any input on what I need to do would help greatly. I need my car to last another year or so since I am still in college!

Thanks,

Ashley

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
sounds like an electrical issue to me. Have you had all recalls performed?

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum aggiegirl21,

I can check on recalls and warranty information for you, if you want. Please get me the last 8 digits of your VIN (I can send you my email address if you like since you're new to the forum and can't use the messaging tool I don't think).

Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If it dies when you hit a bump it is a physical connection that is loose or broken. And yes you probably need a tune-up if you never had one done and get the throttle body cleaned. Any codes? Is the "Service engine light" on?

·
Registered
922 Posts
could be the fuel pump. About a year and half ago I had a similar problem. They replaced my fuel rail thinking it was the the rail not holding pressure, but it turned out to be the fuel pump was weak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had this same problem for about two months, but after cleaning up the terminals,maf,throttle body, and fuel filter it only does it once every few days. I personally think its something going on in the ecu. This is a seriously dangerous problem. I can't believe gm doesn't have a fix for it there's plenty of complaints out about it.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Samiam1017,

Did you have further success getting this resolved over the weekend? If you want for me to check into anything for you, let me know! I can check into warranty or recall information for you or work with you through the process of getting this checked into at your dealership. As you're new to the forum, I don't know if you can use the private message tool but let me know if you want any help and I can send you my email address.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum aggiegirl21,

I can check on recalls and warranty information for you, if you want. Please get me the last 8 digits of your VIN (I can send you my email address if you like since you're new to the forum and can't use the messaging tool I don't think).

Sarah,
If you could send me your email address, I will get my VIN # to you.

All,
Sorry it's taken me a while to get back on here, I had a blow out yesterday and I now am getting a new tire and I also have to get a new wheel too. Seems like when it rains, it pours. Service engine light is on. I had the transmission looked at a couple of months ago, and they told me 3 codes were out. There wasn't any problems with my transmission, thank goodness! I will look into getting a tune up to see if that will fix the problem and I will look into the fuel pump/filter issue as well. Thanks for the input, guys!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Our cars don't have a throttle cable they are drive by wire so if you lose your battery contact your car will shut off. Check battery cables and such,good luck!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've had this same problem for about two months, but after cleaning up the terminals,maf,throttle body, and fuel filter it only does it once every few days. I personally think its something going on in the ecu. This is a seriously dangerous problem. I can't believe gm doesn't have a fix for it there's plenty of complaints out about it.
Same here!!!....Cleaning all those parts and keep them clean is always good !!!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Check your grounds Everywhere first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.