Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is not a paint and body section I'm going to consider this a ext. styling job as it is the exterior and I am styling the body so it is all one color. Here are a few shots of the car pre paint (looks like a geek squad car). In these pictures it is wet sanded with 400 grit and has been taped& papered and bagged for overspray protection. I will post base/coat pictures in a few minutes and will follow up with clear/coat pictures. i hope you enjoy the pictures and if you have any questions feel free to ask. ty all. Ken

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

OK here are some base/coat pics. The base is still flashing off in these pictures. in 1/2 hour i will be laying down 3 coats of high solids clear/coat...more pics soon.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Here it is clear coated...later today I will untape and tomorrow I will wet sand clear coat for any nibs or debris and buff it up, we have a front end alignment sceduled for 11 am..after that I will install mirrors and fender liner and any misc trim that is off for the paint work.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Oh ya...I will get a compled picture outside all buffed and assembled and lookin' good. That will be a day or two. For anyone that wants to see the work in progress I have a thread that has pictures and details the "ISSUES" I had working on it.:bigsmile:

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

I think this link will send you to that thread... http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/28986-possible-bad-engine-ecm.html

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Where is down, I'm in MN so down could be very far away!!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
That looks great, bodywork guys in halifax, ns just slap bodyfill on, give it a quick scuff and spray. Almost every car I see has a run down low or some form of dirt in the clear. Then within a year your rust is back, it looks like you take your time with things, the painting world needs more people like you...ppl that actually give a shit

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good work, I read your thread with all the issues previously. Good to see the car is still coming along. Im ready to see some pics of after its buffed and with the mirrors and everything installed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow guys...ty for the compliments. Yes i do try to put out work that looks good and will last . You may know that the car is for my girlfriend she saw it today and loves it. Only apx.6k miles on it. She wants to put purple and pink fineline pinstripe on it , 1/16 th inch . I have seen it on black cars...its bright , but doesnt look to bad (LIL SPLASH OF COLOR). I'm a little unsure but what the heck her car..right?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Where is down, I'm in MN so down could be very far away!!
not too far...Iowa

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I noticed you taped off rear door, pretty confident the paint is going to match!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will see in a few minutes ...going out to untape after a cup of coffee. But black is one of the easiest colors especially when it is only a couple years old...if not I can tape and bag the car in half an hour and blend the door. easy peasy! That door was factory undamaged paint and if I can advoid breaking factory paint that is all the better. When taping up I did notice a couple itty bitty dinks in the hood but since they were not bodyworked and primed yet I just covered hood and painted what is ready....so if a blend is needed on the door i will do it when I paint hood..if door is ok I will remove hood and paint it off the car.Thanks for the question , but in short , im feeling pretty good about it.
Alignment today at 11 am thats what im worried about. car was hit pretty hard as you know hope there are no damaged steering parts in there like inner tie rod(which is the only thing I didnt replace on the damaged side). I put new strut and spindle assy in as well as new outer tie rod and replaced the steel wheel . It pulls right just a bit but steering wheel is at 11 o'clock position...it should straighten out when aligned .
All body panels were able to be put in a good gap position and the strut towers are square all the subframe bolts went in (by the way I replaced the sub frame as well) I'm think good thought and am very excited to complete this project....what to do next? Hummm Trans Am perhaps ? But that will take me a year to two years , I do have a tiberon rebuilder (91k miles) that has been awaiting paint , windshield , air bags , new carpet and has a misfire on #4 cyl . You guys want pics on that one?? I have been considering doing some kind of graphic job on that,the car is white , perhaps something like tear-away scallops in a cobalty blue with bright yellow accents. Some young kid would love that right?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you want to take a picture of a tree in your back yard we'll look at it. gets away from reading only

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, my concerns were confirmed just got a call from the alignment shop...dang it...looks like the right side lower control arm is bent a little bit car was hit on the left . The rebuilder lot that i buy from uses a HUGE forklift with long azz forks to pick up and move cars....I have yet to get a car that didnt have some kind control arm damage from that...In fact that is why the subframe had to be replaced , not from the accident. The rammed the fork right into the subframe and wrecked the radiator as well ,sooo I guess I am going to get a control arm tomorrow and install it...there actually pretty easy. 2 bolts that go to the subframe and pop the lower ball joint and wa-la it's off .

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool..ty Coby . I have a wholesale account at a local aftermarket distributor and should be able to get a good deal . 2 control arms for 170.00 isnt bad though , looked online at autozone they wanted 129.00 for one. I find it strange that they are the same ones for a big ol' HHR .
Robin(my girlfreind) got to drive it to alignment shop ..other than the slight pull to right she loved loved loved it she said. She could plug in her audio stuff and it cost 5 dollars to drive to town instead of 10 plus it has ALOT more pep than her taurus .
Got it in the sun and I am very happy with the rear door color match to the newly painted panels . I need to get my graphics eraser and take off the old pinstripe and prep the surface for new . But over all the project is coming out well and I am happy to be over the hump.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Now I have been looking at some of the cool stuff forum members do to these cobalt like lowering them and rims and such..pretty cool guys. kind of inspires me. But i think when this is complete I need to move on. Could get sucked in to doing some up grades , but , that TA keeps knawing at me , love to get moving on that one.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
damn thats a good price. Even with my shop discount at napa they're still $258+tax a piece.

>edit<

sry thats the steel control arm price. the aluminum (fe3?) are $390 each, retail for $542 !!!!! insane

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
And apparently they have the solid MOOG style pancake bushings unlike the picture shows. The arm is cast alloy instead of stamped steel. Forget who on here installed them on his Cobalt.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I dont normally buy off the internet but thats kind of hard to argue with.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
krjrcustom1 where are the Cobalt final pictures? We want to see the machine or is the girlfriend gone with the car since last week. She might not come back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.