Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new member here. I am 16 years old and looking to buy a car within the next 7 months or so. I currently drive my dads 2004 F150 for school and work but am saving to buy my own car. I am paying for everything for the car, including maintenance (except tires, made a deal with my parents), gas, insurance, and the car itself. I took an interest in the Cobalts after sitting in one at the dealer. My budget will be around $4500 or less and I'm hoping for a coupe. Is this a good first car? I will be 17 by the time I get the car, no tickets or accidents. Also, my mom is worried about safety, are they safe enough cars? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I've seen some terrible roll overs and accidents and the people all walked away without a scratch (including myself) so very safe. The coupe, although more fun, will be higher on insurance, fyi. Also, I suggest you get a manual if you can since they (personal opinion) are easier to maintain and get better MPG (not to mention can be more fun once/ if you start modding). $4500 should get you a decent higher millage balt that will last you a long time. Where are you located? Someone knowledgable might be able to assist in checking the car over from this site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I am in Iowa, near Des Moines. I have already gotten an insurance quote for the coupe, around $89 per month.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

FWIW, heres an example of a REALLY good deal right down the street from me: 2005 Chevy Cobalt 117,404 miles (( 2DR Silver ))

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Looks clean and everything is stock. Not a bad price. I would run a carfax on it just in case. Are you comfortable with all manual acc.? You could probably jump to 4k and get a sun roof, power everything and a manual with same or less miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as manual windows and locks I could care less. And I would run a Carfax on it but since I don't have the money I see it as pointless. I should have the $$$ saved up buy March or so of 2014, so if by some miracle they still have it, ill do that!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
cobalt was my first car that i had to make payments on.
I love it.
I'll keep it forever, even though I have 3 cars now and barely drive it..

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
other than a water pump, all ive done in the last 50k km is maintenance work to mine. I have a 2005 base model 5 speed btw

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I love trucks personally. if I were you I would try to hang onto your dads truck as long as you can

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I haven't read all the replies so I'm not sure whay was said, sorry short in time. Anyways I'm 18 and my cobalt is my second car, I pau for everything as well. I had a Chevy blazer before it, and I loved it.. but I LOVE my cobalt. Even though I have a payment now, I save money cause of gas. I feel it's a very safe car, always starts and has 126000 Miles. I trust it and would recommend a cobalt to anyone.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am also 16 and drive a Cobalt coupe! I was very surprised how well mine handled in the snow this past winter if that helps at all. However I did see a lot of Cobalt sedans in the ditch... I get 20 mpg because I drive it like a race car but if you were to drive it normally gas shouldn't be much of an issue considering it costs about $45 to fill up with premium, which is a fraction of the cost of an F-150. Overall I'm happy with it and love having it as my first car. Hope everything works out. Great decision!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
X2 the coupes are wicked in the snow

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I am also 16 and drive a Cobalt coupe! I was very surprised how well mine handled in the snow this past winter if that helps at all. However I did see a lot of Cobalt sedans in the ditch... I get 20 mpg because I drive it like a race car but if you were to drive it normally gas shouldn't be much of an issue considering it costs about $45 to fill up with premium, which is a fraction of the cost of an F-150. Overall I'm happy with it and love having it as my first car. Hope everything works out. Great decision!
How do you get 20 to the gallon? I was litterally driving mine as a race car and was hard pressed to get under 28!! lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sedans are fun in the snow too!!!!
Get a cobalt in 2 feet of fresh powder on the road...
And make use of the ebrake = fun

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
When I drive mine fast I het around 27, normally I get 28 mixed and then 33 or more highway

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
As far as manual windows and locks I could care less. And I would run a Carfax on it but since I don't have the money I see it as pointless. I should have the $$$ saved up buy March or so of 2014, so if by some miracle they still have it, ill do that!
I don't want to sound preachy, but this is my 2 cents. When buying used, don't skimp on a vehicle history report or pre-purchase inspection. $100 is a cheap price to pay to avoid a bad car that could cost you thousands, or worse. Obviously, you won't catch things that aren't reported, but the odds are much more in your favor.

When I was looking for cars, almost no negative information was reported on the sale listings. However, when I pulled histories, an alarmingly high number of cars were shown to have salvage titles, bad accidents, different paint colors, flood damage, etc. Save a little extra and buy a car the right way.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
What other car can you buy price vs performance that is as reliable as a cobalt and as cheap on parts as a cobalt? Snag the cobalt and join us :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
defintely not a POS v8 ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.