Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a Cobalt/G5 is going to be a first car for my kid who loves my Z28 (LS1tech.com) but it ain't gonna happen. :laugh: I'm fairly knowledgeable about cars but I'm trying to quickly get up to speed on these cars. The SS seemed like a good original choice but not for a new driver, so I've settled on the following models I found this weekend at local dealers:

1. 2009 Cobalt LT Coupe - 33k miles - $11,995 (sunroof, alloy wheels)

2. 2008 Pontiac G5 Coupe - 56k miles - $9,995 (really basic - steel wheels)

3. 2008 Cobalt Sedan Sport - 46k miles - $11,995 (2.4 engine, sunroof)

4. 2008 Cobalt "Special Edition" Coupe - 70k miles - $10,995 (sunroof, alloy wheels)

All are autos.

I'm going to do my homework but we plan on getting one of the above this week. I have a bunch of questions for knowledgeable guys on this forum so any good "intro" links and advice would be appreciated. One of my immediate questions is regarding insurance and engines. Is it true (as is typical) that the coupe is more costly to insure? As far as the engine, is it really a BIG performance difference between the 2.4 and 2.2? I drove both but real didn't feel that much more power and I'm looking more at reliability than all-out performance. My first upgrades to my cars are always shocks and exhaust and I'll probably go that way, especially since all of these will be GM-Cert cars = no engine work. I'll also used the sticky regarding what SS parts fit non-SS Cobalt as a basis for upgrades.

:thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
I find it quite expensive. For 10k you could find a SS SC easily.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find it quite expensive. For 10k you could find a SS SC easily.
I just noted the list prices which obviously are negotiable - I'm assuming by at least a grand. The reason why they are higher is also due to the GM-Cert/warranty - which I normally wouldn't care about but since the car is going off to school, it will come in handy. Plus I'd imagine the insurance on the SS/SC is going to be killer for new driver.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
What ever you do don't pay the sticker price. I always go in thinking that they are making a 40% profit but should only make 10%. For instance if they are asking 10,000 offer them 7G and workfrom there. They will either meet your price or have to give you a good reason why you should pay more. Most importantantly never look like you're really excited about the car until the keys are in your hands. And above all don't be afraid to walk away if they don't budge from the sticker price. Don't forget to inspect it for previous damage, like new paint, poorly masked edges, crumpled metal under the hood and so on.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What ever you do don't pay the sticker price. I always go in thinking that they are making a 40% profit but should only make 10%. For instance if they are asking 10,000 offer them 7G and workfrom there. They will either meet your price or have to give you a good reason why you should pay more. Most importantantly never look like you're really excited about the car until the keys are in your hands. And above all don't be afraid to walk away if they don't budge from the sticker price. Don't forget to inspect it for previous damage, like new paint, poorly masked edges, crumpled metal under the hood and so on.....
As stated in my previous post, I'm expecting at a minimum $1000 off the listed price. I bought my Z28 from one of the dealers and immediately got almost $3000 off the listed price and I'm expecting the same, especially since it's going to be a cash deal.

As far as the condition - I learned from a bad CarFax/CarChex experience that the best way to check a car is to do it yourself in addition to taking it to a good mechanic. We saw a lot of junk out there this weekend and these were by far the best of the bunch and we're willing to spend a little more for a good rather than an "okay" car.

Frankly, the only diff I'm finding between the 2.2 cars are the wheels, sunroof and steering wheel controls. It looks like wheels run about $600 a set, the sunroof is nice but not essential given where we live, and I'll probably replace the headunit any way so the wheel controls aren't a biggy. In short, if I can get the G5 down to around 7-8k, it's probably the best deal, leaving a few bucks for suspension/sound upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Cheap Guy; Well don't let your nickname disappoint us.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Alright, the there are two different 2.4's the newer one 2008+
And then the 2005-2006 2.4 that came with forged internal from the factory and is badged as an SS/NA
If you plan on getting a 2.4L get the cobalt SS 2.4L

NOT the 2.4L SPORT.

[Insert signature here]

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just noted the list prices which obviously are negotiable - I'm assuming by at least a grand. The reason why they are higher is also due to the GM-Cert/warranty - which I normally wouldn't care about but since the car is going off to school, it will come in handy. Plus I'd imagine the insurance on the SS/SC is going to be killer for new driver.
Yeah, the insurance is killer for a new driver, this is why I mod my LT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, the there are two different 2.4's the newer one 2008+
And then the 2005-2006 2.4 that came with forged internal from the factory and is badged as an SS/NA
If you plan on getting a 2.4L get the cobalt SS 2.4L

NOT the 2.4L SPORT.

[Insert signature here]
The 4 dr. Sport I listed IS the 2.4L. Sounds like I should just go with the 2.2 LT's?

·
Registered
584 Posts
The 4 dr. Sport I listed IS the 2.4L. Sounds like I should just go with the 2.2 LT's?
The sport is nice and what not, but the older 2.4l cobalt has a better engine because its has factory forged internals.
You can find an older 2.4l for a lot better price than what your posting.

If I could go back in time and get a 2.4l SS/na I would.
Cuz I got a 2.2l

To be honest the sport looks nice than the 2.2l with the base bumper and what not.

BTW, any pictures of said cars you guys are looking at?

[Insert signature here]

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Offer 9 for the first one, and watch him (her) squirm. I paid $5750 for a 2007 ls basic with 14000miles last august. Added cruise and armrest and a few add-ons for about an extra $400. If you can wait until the end of the month and find a salesperson that hasn't made his quota for the month, you might even do better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sport is nice and what not, but the older 2.4l cobalt has a better engine because its has factory forged internals.
You can find an older 2.4l for a lot better price than what your posting.

If I could go back in time and get a 2.4l SS/na I would.
Cuz I got a 2.2l

To be honest the sport looks nice than the 2.2l with the base bumper and what not.

BTW, any pictures of said cars you guys are looking at?

[Insert signature here]
Again, the main reason for the 2008 and low miles is due to the side airbags and the GM Cert (under 5 years old/75k miles).

Here are the pics:

(Oops, had to sneak in a pic of my baby, LOL. :bigsmile:)

I've been online all day and it looks like the listed prices aren't too far off KBB retail.

Funny about the armrest, that's the first thing my kid noticed was missing in a LS.

As far as being around, I hope not too much; that means I'm working/spending money on it!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Does he prefer Coupe or Sedan. That last gray one looks nice. Imagine that dropped an inch in the front and an 1.5" in the back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does he prefer Coupe or Sedan. That last gray one looks nice. Imagine that dropped an inch in the front and an 1.5" in the back.
Initially the preference was for the Sedan; easier to pile more people in (not good for new drivers) but now the preference is the Couple - more "sporty". As far as a drop - probably not - just better (Koni, Bilstein, ???) shocks as the first mod. The gray one is obviously the 2.4 but again, coming from a M6 LS1, I really couldn't tell much of a diff between performance of the 2.2 and the 2.4, both autos.

BTW, I feel for you younger guys. In our state, it's MUCH harder to get a license now and even still, the restrictions are eye opening! Back in the day, the road test was once around the block, park and you were good to go.

·
Registered
803 Posts
im 23 and thats how my road test was.. add a parallel park, and boom pass.

what are your requirements and specifications?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im 23 and thats how my road test was.. add a parallel park, and boom pass.

what are your requirements and specifications?
Not to get off-topic, but in Michigan, you have to go through two stages of driver's ed if you're under 18. The road test takes almost an hour including the parking and low speed section. Even after getting your license, you're limited to certain driving times and number of passengers until you reach a certain age:

SOS - Graduated Driver's License Level 2 Restrictions

A lot of kids are just saying the hell with it and waiting until they reach 18.

·
Registered
803 Posts
pretty much how it was in New York.. drivers education offered through school, five hour course, and once you get it you cant drive past 9 until youre 18. Unless work permitted, and sry for taking you off topic.. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pretty much how it was in New York.. drivers education offered through school, five hour course, and once you get it you cant drive past 9 until youre 18. Unless work permitted, and sry for taking you off topic.. Good luck on your search!
No prob. It gave me time to get suspension ideas. Looks like just going with the SS/TC suspension parts (FE5) is the way to go and it's doesn't look too expensive, especially compared to Camaro parts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.